Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: quadra trac rebuild needed  (Read 3425 times)

antcj7

quadra trac rebuild needed
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »

Hello Chaps :)

Right then, after a lot of research I've found my problem!

In my 79 CJ7, behind the 360 V8 and TH400 I have a BW Quadra Trac which should have a vacuum mechanism, (but is missing!) which I believe was called the 'e drive' .

Seems that my T-case is in need of some TLC as its permanently locked with fixed drive to both front and rear axles and I get all sorts of issues when trying to turn with a feeling or 'chain jumping' and tension in the drive train, :-( not good.

So what I'm after is a recommendation to someone that can remove and rebuild the T-Case and while at it can recommend if possible to fit an overdrive kit and if possible a milemarker mechanical shift mechanism or something?

I'm in Kent and any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers

Nosebolt

Re: quadra trac rebuild needed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »

The Quadra-Trac is a full-time 4WD system, have you checked that you havn't just left the front hubs locked?

antcj7

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »

The Quadra-Trac is a full-time 4WD system, have you checked that you havn't just left the front hubs locked?

Hello mate...

I'm not sure that it's got lockable front hubs...

I'm aware that the T case should have a vacuum system to select either 'part time' or 'full time' 4x4, and when in part time, it locks the T case so that the same power is delivered to both front and rear axles with no difference., but I can feel the chain jump when trying to turn around on the drive, so it feels like its all 'up tight' and 'locked up'...

The Jeep's turned into a bit of a money pit (I guess that's a Jeep thing!) :icon_rolleyes: so only thing left for me to do (mechanically) is the transfer box now :( just don't have the time to do it myself so looking for a recommended transmission place to take it to or a fellow jeep dood that knows his stuff and wants some 'harry dash!'

Cheers

Nosebolt

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

where in the country are you?

if you do have locking hubs the will look a bit like this

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »

no hubs on qtrac my guese is you are acidently locked in as there the edrive aplys the locking centere diff there are only two sensable options

one is to try and locate the parts or spare qtrac case

two and my recomended option is a partime conversion and freewheel hubs

DONT drive if the chain is slipping it has stretched and will go bang trashing the case

it is posible that the diflock is not in but you have the wrong fluid in there and the transfer case is binding as it has funny cone clutch afaire that binds

i say again do NOT drive if the chain is slipping

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

antcj7

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

no hubs on qtrac my guese is you are acidently locked in as there the edrive aplys the locking centere diff there are only two sensable options

one is to try and locate the parts or spare qtrac case

two and my recomended option is a partime conversion and freewheel hubs

DONT drive if the chain is slipping it has stretched and will go bang trashing the case

it is posible that the diflock is not in but you have the wrong fluid in there and the transfer case is binding as it has funny cone clutch afaire that binds

i say again do NOT drive if the chain is slipping

yep it's def NOT GOT free-wheeling hubs..

However seeing as its a sunny afternoon I've been outside tinkering and found that I do in fact have a vacuum switch! Hoorah.. last owner told me it was a dash light dimmer that did'nt work!! but the actual knob on the switch wasn't turning the shaft, so Ive remove the knob and been switching the vacuum switch from left to right with a small pair of grips, while driving up and down the drive and trying to get it to release any tension and loosen off, but no joy. So I guess best to give to an expert and get them to check that any vacuum is present in the first place.

I've just spent a fortune getting the engine completely rebuilt (right down to an acid dipped block!) but I'm losing faith fast in the mechanic (will remain unnamed at the mo!) as I've had to chuck it back to him with so many poor work issues, so wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't connected the vacuum to the engine which is needed to drive the vacuum selector...

Also starting to throw auto trans fluid back up the dip stick... would be good to get this back on the road soon!!

antcj7

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »

where in the country are you?

if you do have locking hubs the will look a bit like this

Hello Mate, I'm just outside Rochester, Kent  :icon_winkle:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »

... would be good to get this back on the road soon!!

must be something about Kent  :011:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Nosebolt

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »

Hello Mate, I'm just outside Rochester, Kent  :icon_winkle:

your screwed  :hysterical: your nearest tech adviser is BD, and he hasn't even mastered a paint brush yet.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

:imwitstupid:  :hysterical:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

Keep tellin ya, real men use a roller brush, only a show pony works with smooth paint  :003:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 05:22:39 PM »

oil up the dipstick could just be over filled or the dipstick is a very poor fit if you have the vacume switch do you have the vacume actuater on the transfer case

i would offer to rebuild the tranfer case but the parts arnt cheap and it sounds like you are getting fed up spending cash on it

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

antcj7

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »

oil up the dipstick could just be over filled or the dipstick is a very poor fit if you have the vacume switch do you have the vacume actuater on the transfer case

i would offer to rebuild the tranfer case but the parts arnt cheap and it sounds like you are getting fed up spending cash on it

yep, its got the 3 pipes running from the back of the switch and also the actuator is fitted with pipes going to it, but after a spewing of trans fluid it's all oily and I got fed up trying to be a weekend mechanic!  :010: so I'll chuck it back to the mechanic and ask him to make sure that he connected the pipes to the right places! then to check that the vacuum is actually throwing the selector fork!..

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »

Nice if it was an easy fix :icon_sad: but as Bubba said parts are expensive for this mostly unloved transfer case :010:

Just an idea.. left of field but.... how about changing to a Dana 300 transfer case and sourcing a centre diff rear end for the Jeep, I know its more money but maybe less than you might have to spend on the Q-trac and associated parts. Dana 300s are around £300 a time and the axle ..... up to £250 or so?
Just make sure you get a matching ratio to the front!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »

he does speak the truth i nearly did say this

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Nosebolt

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »

its possible your '81 has a d300 and if you do go rwd with it that's over half the cost covered

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

And I am thinking that you Bubba have a spare Dana 300 that was for sale?  

I also have a really nice Dana 300 .......              Not for sale at the moment.          

Might still do me 44s and 60s spring over stretchy thing one day :icon_super:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 07:17:52 PM »

if it was me it would be 360 in to the 81 and the mopar in to the qtrac jeep  this can be done no problemo done it many times

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »

I been periodically throwin out a request across the forums for a centre diff rear end axle and gettin nowt back everytime (bar willcj on here but his is all taken apart), so i wouldnt hang my hat on that particular route

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »

i have one

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »

you bloody would have  :003:  but u are a worse hoarder than me!!!

ferretjuggler

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »

Try this http://www.ifsja.org/ for info on the Quadratrac T/C.
Please note what happens when you run one of these cases with a stretched chain!
Parts are not that expensive and the transfer case is easy to work on.
You can over-ride the vacuum servo with a little ingenuity, it may not be stuck in e-drive anyway, it could just be stuck LSD cones.
If you do decide to keep it and rebuild, make sure you get an american made chain not a cheapo chinky one :003:

antcj7

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 02:14:19 PM »

Try this http://www.ifsja.org/ for info on the Quadratrac T/C.
Please note what happens when you run one of these cases with a stretched chain!
Parts are not that expensive and the transfer case is easy to work on.
You can over-ride the vacuum servo with a little ingenuity, it may not be stuck in e-drive anyway, it could just be stuck LSD cones.
If you do decide to keep it and rebuild, make sure you get an american made chain not a cheapo chinky one :003:

Many thanks for the info... Ill post the update after my hols :-)

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up