Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JK Top Off Single Handed - Trailer Mod  (Read 1441 times)

wrangler07

JK Top Off Single Handed - Trailer Mod
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »

I haven't room or height in my garage for a pulley system so have been forced to think again. I looked at the bench type mods but they would require me leaving the bench and top outside while not in use which wasn't ideal. I also have a small 4'x3' trailer parked outside my garage which I use from time to time so adding another item out there would have been annoying, especially for the wife...:yup:

Soooo, what to do? My drive is also in need of new tarmac and as such I didn't think tiny wheels on a bench type mod would work particularly well.

Hmm....

Solution? Utilise the trailer. I spent this evening designing and building a "bench" which would fit on top of my trailer. When in use it would take up pretty much the same space as the trailer already takes up, would be easy to wheel up my dodgy driveway and will (at a push) fit into my garage for longer term storage.

This is my trailer:

I decided to make something that would fit over the top of the trailer, slot on top, so to speak, but it needed to be solid and stable. I made the base like this:

The rest looks like this and is very simple to build:

The main posts are 4x2 and the rest is decking planks. I'd actually made an area of dekking for the wife a few months ago and she simply didn't like it, so I had all this wood behind the garden shed. Might as well put it to good use and for once Robocop didn't give me grief!! :crazyeyes:

I just completed this a few minutes ago so haven't had chance to mount it on the trailer and take pics but will do so tomorrow.

The height of the Jeep hard-top starts at 116cm.; including the trailer this setup stands at 118cm. You'll notice that the cross slats are only at each end, allowing the user to get in the middle and lift the hard-top backwards in three different positions. You can also sit down when doing so, so great for any smokers out there. :D

Once done you can easily wheel your hard-top up any driveway and it will store nicely in most garages, even the tiny UK jobbies. Hope this helps someone. :beer:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: JK Top Off Single Handed - Trailer Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »

dood, cut the grass, its gettin outa control there  :003:

do u work mate? if ya do, doin what? u got some envious time on ya hands  :hysterical:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

wrangler07

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »

dood, cut the grass, its gettin outa control there  :003:

do u work mate? if ya do, doin what? u got some envious time on ya hands  :hysterical:

LOL! I've recently re-landscaped the lawn so am letting it grow a wee bit to avoid it burning up in the sun. About 20k litres of water has lead to these results.  :003:

As for my profession, I'm  a self-employed financial and insurance consultant so I make my hours up as I go along. Wouldn't have it any other way!! :003:

wrangler07

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:30:10 PM »

OK. Everything slotted into place nicely and with a bit of huffing and puffing and the occasional half-expletive IT WORKED!!

All done!

Pages: [1]   Go Up