Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home made snorkel and battery info needed... 96 4.0 XJ Cherokee  (Read 10935 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: Home made snorkel and battery info needed... 96 4.0 XJ Cherokee
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »

:imwitstupid: i never wouda got it back together, so fair paly

im all over the fuckin place tonight, spent the day with my head over the khazi, so my above should be here, not where it was  :100:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »

:imwitstupid: i never wouda got it back together, so fair paly

im all over the fuckin place tonight, spent the day with my head over the khazi, so my above should be here, not where it was  :100:

momos will understand your posts, dont worry  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 09:51:51 PM »

well done dood you did it thats the main thing

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »

it's good that you chose what you needed to do with the knowledge you have, some will just start removing stuff without realising what it's needed for.

the ABS was on the right hand side of the jeep by the brake booster on mine not in the location as yours. Still a good job for the first attempt. wouldn't an angled joiner be better than the flexi pipe joint as you go from wing to A pillar ? I looked into that idea and the angled pipe does give the angle you need but i decided to go inside the bonnet route. You might want to put a grill on the top to stop items falling inside or put inside by little kids. I gather you have sealed the joints well. A photo of the airbox might add to the build you have done as connecting to this can be a pain for some people
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

wildrover

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »

When i looked at that home made snork by the Aussie guy , one thing i noticed was that there was no mention of waterproofing the airbox...!

Its all very well have your pipe sucking air from above windscren level , but whats stopping the airbox filling up with fish if you go playing in the puddles...?

On my Jeep the airbox lid is just clipped in place , and certainly not watertight...  How do you keep the water out of there...?

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »

On my Jeep the airbox lid is just clipped in place , and certainly not watertight...  How do you keep the water out of there...?

The lid compresses the rubber surround on the air filter.

snoopyjon

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »

Is it just me??? You're going to rip that shit off first time used in anger!!!!

Maybe, maybe not... I don't drive it like a W**ker, the only reason I did it was in case I end up in water a bit deeper than I thought.  If I damage it on a narrow green lane, most it costs me is another £7 for the tube...  I'm not going to be doing 30mph down a lane, if I see a branch that looks like it's going to hit, I'll crawl through...

Jon.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »

I got to agree there. thought offroading was all about driver skill and planning your route.Unless you are in strike-one of course lol

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »

I tend to lean and rub on things to get through - and as for narrow lanes I use the bush for traction.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »

I tend to lean and rub on things to get through - and as for narrow lanes I use the bush for traction.

yup I know that I just finished repairing some of that rubbing. And I don't believe you know anything about bush..... :celebrate:  :IOM:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »

Bush or Bish.... :IOM: :IOM: :IOM: :IOM: :IOM: :IOM: :IOM: :IOM: :IOM:
"Not all those who wander are lost"

snoopyjon

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »

Please don't feel like we're tearing your work to pieces. I think it's great that you had the balls to do it in the
first place. Regardless of how you did it, it's a pretty tidy job, unlike the shit you see on Lardys and especially
zooks.

Didn't think people were tearing it to pieces, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I don't offend easily :)  I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea, but when I spend £650 on a vehicle, I don't intend spending a further £400 on just one mod.  Not at the moment anyway... I've only had it since February this year, if the engine makes it through the next six months without blowing up on me, then I'll consider spending a bit more on it.

Cheers,

Jon.

snoopyjon

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »

it's good that you chose what you needed to do with the knowledge you have, some will just start removing stuff without realising what it's needed for.

the ABS was on the right hand side of the jeep by the brake booster on mine not in the location as yours. Still a good job for the first attempt. wouldn't an angled joiner be better than the flexi pipe joint as you go from wing to A pillar ? I looked into that idea and the angled pipe does give the angle you need but i decided to go inside the bonnet route. You might want to put a grill on the top to stop items falling inside or put inside by little kids. I gather you have sealed the joints well. A photo of the airbox might add to the build you have done as connecting to this can be a pain for some people

Hi Dave,

I agree the angle joint would be better than the flexi pipe.  I bought one, but it was the wrong angle, and it was gone 4pm on the Sunday by the time I got this far, so wasn't able to go and get another piece.  The flexi pipe goes pretty much from just outside the wing, through the lower pipe, then does the bend, and then goes 80% of the way up the angled pipe.  The angled pipe is currently held on with cable ties, as I am getting a safari snorkel top and will need to cut the pipe down a bit.  When I do that, I will put an angled joint on at the same time, and then jubilee clip everything on so it has some more strength.

All sealed well, had a mate do all that, as I don't trust myself :D As for the air box, he also sealed up every single hole in there, inside and out, and yes, you're right, that was the biggest pain.  I will look at getting some photo's of the inside of the airbox soon.

Cheers for all the advice, it's really appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon.

wildrover

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »

Quote from: wildrover on Today at 11:31:01

The lid compresses the rubber surround on the air filter.

Aha..!   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up