Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Upgrades Done  (Read 4508 times)

Rikk

ZJ Upgrades Done
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:58:17 PM »

Well picked the ZJ up today after having :-

RE 3.5inch super-flex
RE Low pressure shocks
Crager soft 8 chrome wheels 15x8
Procomp x-terrains 31x10.5

Feels very different to drive indeed, much stiffer (which I like), steering is quite a bit lighter as well which is strange as I assumed with the larger/wider tyres it would be a bit heavier, but Steve said thats to do with the new geometry.

Took it for a good drive in all sorts and did a few lanes on the way home. In general it feels much better to drive although the steering seems a little off and there's quite a vibration at 60+ but I'm sure both can be sorted with a little tweaking so will give Steve a buzz on Monday.

Tyres make a strange rumbling at low speed but I assume this is the same for all mt/xt open pattern tyres as you don't have a constant surface in contact with the road all the time.
So far the grip from the tyres seems fine, didn't push it to much but it never squirmed and felt sure footed all the time.

Couple of things I didn't think about at the time.

Where to put the larger spare? this only occured to me as I was pulling the old tyres and the new spare out of the back, this is mahooosive where am I going to put it. Luckily it ONLY just fits where the original spare goes, although I do need something made up to hold it in place a bit better than the way I bodged it at the moment.

I live with my nan who I look after (we have the house split), and she's well, tiny. I think I need to get her a step ladder now as I have to lift her in 8)
I'm going to have to see if a local engineering firm can make me up a sprung step so she can get in and out.

Next step feb/march time is sort the gearing, trutrack in the back and locker in the front.

Like to say a big thanks to Steve at FTE 4x4 who's been a diamond, especialy as he didn't laugh when phoning me up the day after I dropped the car off asking me where I'd put the key for the locking wheel nut. It was at home, tidied with the rest of the boot contents :(

............Rikk

copey

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »

Hiya Rikk,you will get a rumble from the tyres,used to have some big A/T`s on and it screamed like hell with the wellie down,steering vibration might just be tyre balance,mine needed some pretty heavy weights on to balance it out

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 02:12:15 PM »

Rikk, get yerself on one of those Lardy sites and ask for a Disco rear step, they have one that lifts very nicely and if you can get it converted a bit.. Saves engineering something from scratch.

But you will have to be ribbed about owning part of a lardy.......

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 02:35:38 PM »

Damn good idea sir, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Was out today laning, did the route I'd put in events to make sure it was all ok, had great fun. Lovely day witht he fog and sun coming through :)

The Jeep went superbly this morning, wizzing around the lanes and doing 70-80 on the M11 on the way back. Just need the steering tweaked and the balancing of the tyres tweaked and she'l be great.

Here's a couple of pics of the Jeep and a couple of the lanes.

This is why I enjoy going out doing laning so much, ahhh pweeety :)

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 02:36:53 PM »

ZJ looks great Rikk

Manda

• AKA Dangerous Doris
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 03:27:16 PM »

She looks really great Rikk. Lanes look good too.
AKA Dangerous Doris

copey

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »

Motor looks great.. :D

copey

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 05:41:09 PM »

Any ideas on the largest size tyre I could use (16"),without having to go for any lift or mods etc.?.   :roll:

Mick O

• Mickosaurus
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »

Truck looks coooooooool 8)
I'm not a complete idiot.......................some bits are missing

AKA Jurassic O

Dodster

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 06:26:35 PM »

Yup Truck and lanes look top

Nice one Rikk  :wink:

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 05:04:13 AM »

looks good Rikk :wink:

thems zjs look good with a front bumper  :roll:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Motul

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 09:52:27 AM »

One word........niiiiice!  :grinyes:

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 12:09:14 PM »

Sorted the Nan getting in problem for the moment, got here this while out shopping this morning.

Looks very rock n roll next to the ZJ ;)

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 12:13:39 PM »

Copey, I put on 235's on the stock wheels and they where fine no rubbing, not sure how much more you could go with stock rims without and rubbing though.
Have a look at the forums at www.nagca.com lots of moaning on there but also lots of good info if you have the time.

Daggie, had a quick measure and it's 22 inch's front and back, did notice the rear offsite is sitting at 21 atm but won't worry to much till it's all had a chance to settle.

copey

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 12:33:27 PM »

OK Rikk thanks for that..tried that link but says it "Can not be found",i`ll try it again later..cheers :lol:

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 12:53:01 PM »

Sorry the main sites been a bit on the fritz, try this one takes you straight to the forums.

http://www.nagca.com/forum/

copey

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 01:24:14 PM »

spot on ta... :D

Rikk

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

Just thought I'd post an update on the tyres as I've now had them a while and also used them in all conditions.
In the dry they seem just as good as the AT's I had before, I can throw it around and it's never given me any surprises, same goes for damp roads.
In the wet/raining again fine I don't tend to push things to hard in the rain but coming in to work today in heavy snow/sleet never let go when keeping to a sensible speed. If it's still raining on the way home I'll give it some beans on the roundabouts and see what it'll do.
In the snow on tuesday night driving sensibly they where great, was quite funny watching the LR's behind me slipping and slidding all over the place on there there selection of MT's, only once did they let go and that was me being stupid on a tight corner with a concrete surface and even then it was very progressive.
Offroad compared to the AT's it's night and day especially when it gets muddy/slippery very confidence inspiring :)

Noise is definatly up over the AT's, nothing drastic but at slow speed 0>30 you get a rumble, over that it's a dull droning with the stereo on you don't even notice it and crusing at 70-80 on the motorway is fine.

And lastly they do look rather good 8)

So if you have deep pockets and want a VERY good tyre the procomp x-terrains are very good indeed.

.........Rikk
Pages: [1]   Go Up