Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 02 2.7Ltd Grand Cherokee 3 problems  (Read 2587 times)

Tankdude

02 2.7Ltd Grand Cherokee 3 problems
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Guys,

I've been meaning to post these for a couple of weeks now and as I've got a few mins at work, here goes.

Rain Sensative Wipers:
These haven't really worked properly since I got the vehicle. There isn't any difference in the sensativity no matter what you select on the stalk. It will do an intermittent sweep once, then just goes into the normal sweep even if it's just spitting.
What's the likley cause of this?  :017:

Power Seats:
I have the 10 way power seat but the only settings that work are forwards and backwards and recline. Raising the seat up and down, and I'm assuming, tilt doesn't work.
When I try to adjust the hight or tilt I get a cluncking sound like the motor is stuck.
Is this an easy fix or would it be more beneficial just to get a replacement motor from a scrappies?  :017:

Heated Seats:
Drivers seat, no problem, nice'n'toasty bum. The passenger seat doesn't work. The light on the switch doesn't come on.
Again is this an easy fix or should I start booking spare parts from the scrappy?

I'm ok at nut wrangling but when it comes to electrickery I haven't got a "Danny la rue"!

Any help will be much appreciated. Coz atm I'm   :banghead:

Bishops Finger

Re: 02 2.7Ltd Grand Cherokee 3 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »

Heated seats is probably broken wires

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »

Heated seats is probably broken wires

Allow me to elaborate  :003:

You can lift the upholstery and behind you'll find a 'pad' criss/cross with tiny wires.  these heat up when current is passed through.
Being tiny wires they can burn through indicated by a bit of a burnt patch in the area.  I've heard of people taking solder ion to hand
and fixing them.

Otherwise ebay is your friend

Good luck.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »

Just a thought re the rain sensing wipers, do you have an auto position for the lights ?

On all of our different cars over the years, for the auto wipers to work properly, the lights have to be set on auto, if not they are just like regular intermittent jobbies
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Tankdude

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »

Cheers dudes!

I'll have a butchers tomorrow.

As for the power seat motor, is it easy to whip out?

Tankdude

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »

Mmmm,

Not got an auto setting on ma lights. Just the bog standard, side and main.  :017:

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »

In my experience, mostly of german vehicles, to get one you usually have both & they work from a light sensor fitted between the windscreen glass & the interior mirror set up.

I culd well be wrong in your case, what does your manual say ?

Good luck
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Tank

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »

I have rain sensitive wipers on my E39 BMW,only trouble is each time you switch off ignition they stop working automatically.I have to move the intermittent timer switch up one and back down to get them working on auto again,maybe its something similar on yours

eastryjeep

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »

Regarding BMWs.  (Sounds like LOTR & Hobbits eh?)
BMW E39 wipers do this regularly - BMW know about it but have done nowt about it, I've had 2 beemers and both went the same way, you just have to learn to live with it.

Regarding Rain Sensors.
The rain sensor works on the measured difference between emitted and received light after total internal reflection in the sensor area of the windscreen, which means that when rain drops fall on the screen they sit on the surface and redirect some of this light elsewhere, but as it's no longer all going back to the receiver the difference triggers a sweep of the wipers. Sounds simple don't it? The problem is that as your car gets older and the screen more chipped (those tiny bastards that eat your wiper blades), or road tanned as they call it, this has exactly the same effect as a wet screen and the intermittent system either fails entirely or reverts to default.

So, you are generally stuffed until the yobbos from round the corner break your screen or a truck throws a stone at you, then that nice man from Autoglass should be able to fix the problem!
Ooh naughty, did I really type that out loud?
Either that or your electrics are already fried, in which case you're right out of luck.

I hope that helps somewhat, but what YOU do now I couldn't begin to guess!
If it were me I'd get out a DA sander and some micromesh (damn fine wet'n'dry type stuff) and try to polish up the sensor area of the screen, lots of water etc and see if I can make a difference.

Tankdude

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »

I hope that helps somewhat, but what YOU do now I couldn't begin to guess!
If it were me I'd get out a DA sander and some micromesh (damn fine wet'n'dry type stuff) and try to polish up the sensor area of the screen, lots of water etc and see if I can make a difference.

I'll just get the wife to do that, she's really good at scatching stuff. She once tried to remove encrusted bugs from her windscreen on her crappy Renault Megane with a scouring pad :wtf:

eastryjeep

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:36:51 PM »

No No No

You don't want it scratched to buggery, you need a mirror finish or you'll be right knackered!

Buff it or break it, but if it's a toughened screen (Triplex) don't try anything or you'll just end up shattering it.

Tankdude

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »

No No No

You don't want it scratched to buggery, you need a mirror finish or you'll be right knackered!

Buff it or break it, but if it's a toughened screen (Triplex) don't try anything or you'll just end up shattering it.

I know mate I was being a wee bit sarcastic saying my wife should do it.

Never let the wife mess with your ride!

eastryjeep

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »

So can you take as good as you give?  :icon_winkle:

Sarcastic like facetious, only different isn't it?

But:

What I want to know is whether it was one of those green scourers or a ‘Brillo’ pad and did it work?

mad mechanic

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »

there was another round of recalls for the heated seat pads on the grand, send me your chassis number and i will check on dealer connect for ya mate it may be due again, if it is then your local jeep dealer should sort if FOC also if the seat leather happens to be burnt because of the said heater element they have to replace the leather cover..but i didnt tell ya that..lol

Tankdude

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »

What I want to know is whether it was one of those green scourers or a ‘Brillo’ pad and did it work?

It was a green scourer and she totally messed her windscreen up.

She can be a bit of a retard at times!

Tankdude

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 03:29:27 AM »

there was another round of recalls for the heated seat pads on the grand, send me your chassis number and i will check on dealer connect for ya mate it may be due again,

PM sent

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 09:00:55 AM »

seat not going up or down, probably seized up :icon_rolleyes: mine were
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Tankdude

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »

seat not going up or down, probably seized up :icon_rolleyes: mine were

Easy fix or am I off to the scrappies again?

cinimod

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »

my rain sensing wipers act up sometimes as you mention,
ive found if i jiggle the sensor pad and loom to it on the screen they start to work again,dont know if youve tried this ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up