Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ ABS thingymajig  (Read 931 times)

FunkyZebra

ZJ ABS thingymajig
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »

Hey again all, more woes from the garage of mine lol

Had a little issue with the ABS on my ZJ after changing the u-joints on the front. Somehow (I have no idea how) there appears to be a small chunk missing from the tone ring on the shaft. Pulled the fuse for ABS all good. My question is this, are these rings replaceable,  and if so how? Or am I better off just replacing the shaft.

Also as the dreaded MOT is due soon, what is the likelihood of a fail, I would imagine pretty high due to the warning light, but if I was to pull this..........?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: ZJ ABS thingymajig
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »

I think the tone rings are replaceable - you may find it easier to get new shafts from a breakers though and just fit those.

MOT man should watch the dash and check that the ABS light comes on and goes out if ABS is fitted. My XJ went through 4 years of MOT with ABS disabled by pulling fuse for solenoid, light etc. with no problems but shouldn't have according to the book. I've now taken all the ABS components off so don't have to worry any more but mine is an offroad project now and it's not exactly  and easy job I'd recommend to get around your situation!

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »

The tone rings are replaceable (there an interference fit) but as jay said you better off getting used shafts  and putting those in.
As u can brake the the rings trying to remove them from a shaft.
not sure if any wear but a dealer would sell them

FunkyZebra

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »

Thanks for the input, I figured it would be a stealership special and was worries about breaking the replacements too. Didn't think of scrappy, will find a local one. Thanks again for the input

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:19:22 PM »

or have a look on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-AND-GRAND-CHEROKEE-MK1-ABS-RELUCTER-RINGS-/120791902995?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1fc22b13

They cpme off OK - just give them a soaking and then work your way around it, a little at a time
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

FunkyZebra

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »

Thanks for that, can only seem to find cv type on the flea. Beginning to wonder if I mix and match cv and u-j will it cause any probs or not, seems the cheaper and quicker way, but not sure for Biching MOT
Pages: [1]   Go Up