Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1998 Cherokee sway bar problem?  (Read 957 times)

LAMBLE

1998 Cherokee sway bar problem?
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Hi Guys,

On my Cherokee the sway arm bushes I think are gone, which is causing a slight wobble on the steering when cornering at low speeds, almost like a pulsing. Also a knocking sound when going over speed bumps etc.
The sway bar and bushes have been replaced by the previous owner and all parts are red. I have found that the bushes used were Daystar 25mm poly ones and were only replaced in 2009, not sure who made the red sway bar though?
So does this problem sound like it could be due to those bushes? Is poly the way to go or is rubber better? Which size bushes are correct, as I see they make slightly different size ones.

Cheers.

scrw

Re: 1998 Cherokee sway bar problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »

steering wobble won't be the anti roll bar, more likely a tight UJ in a front driveshaft. Noise over the bumps could be all sorts, have you chacked the shock bushes?
Also rubber bushes are mush better, more compliant and transfer less noise, poly bushes are for race cars not 4x4s

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »

check steering damper
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

LAMBLE

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

Ok cheers for that, I will check those first and stick with the rubber bushes.

brian reid

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »

stick with the poly bushes,there far better than the rubber ones on ride and cornering,buy a pinch bar and go under,get someone to turn the steering,look for any play you will see it a mile off,you have to check everythng,uv joints,play on the  steering joints movement or play in the track rod ends and pitman arm,the whole lot,check uper and lower control arms,there may need torque on them,do this with the car on the ground or up on flat ramps,as long as there is weight o nthe wheels,check the back spring bolts and springs,one of ours was slack.,front wheel bearing could have wear and upper and lower balls joints,check them.

get shot of the kids,the wife,put the phone off the hook and take your time,get a friend ot give you a hand check the steering,remember safety when you are under a car like a cherokee.

let us know how you get on
Pages: [1]   Go Up