Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Conversion - Whats best???  (Read 10674 times)

jay140285

Re: LPG Conversion - Whats best???
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 09:40:41 AM »

Money Pit, know the feeling mate.

£3500 on Turbo kit on the MX5, then new clutch as other one just couldnt take the acceleration, then retune to release the full potential of the turbo and an MOT was needed (passed without issue).

Within a few miles and I do mean a few was something like 15 from memory the front crank oil seal blew, oil everywhere luckly mine is the long nose crank not the shortnose which os weak and wouldnt have taken the turbo anyway. So prettly much a full strip down and replace the seal.

All is well for a while until my radiator decides its had enough of been alive and split, more money on an alloy 52mm rad. Much better the the skinny standard one.

Touch wood at the moment all is well, but its only been used the odd weekend now not everyday. 

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »

Well, not making any claims about best or not, but picked up the GC on Saturday after conversion @ Prins UK.  Nice tidy job of work, all the parts neatly and securely located, all pipes & wires routed well, mounting brackets properly made and painted, they even repaired the plastic engine cover that was already cracked when I got the car. I can't really tell the difference when it's on gas or petrol. Only real clue is the fuel gauge isn't moving, and the 'miles to empty' figure has gone up, rather than down. Poor thing is confused!  Switches over to gas in less than a mile from cold (does depend on ambient - it's set to switch at 40 degrees water temp). When over that temp, it switches to gas after 5 seconds.  Driving along, if I switch back & forth I can't feel or see any change at all, other than the status lights on the wee switch and the faint click from the gas solenoids.

Proper job.

Also nice they way the guys who did the job took the time to show me round the installation and talk through how it all works, and explained why they did certain thigns in a particular way.

The biggest problem I can foresee.....I am a bit less shy of the throttle pedal now.....so I don't think I'll be getting quite so many MPG as I could....but it's still going to be our cheapest car to run.

Very happy, heartily recommend Prins Autogas UK in Wolverhampton.  Not the cheapest, but I reckon cheapest is often a shortcut to agro.

jay140285

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »

Good positive write up, on that basis I will be giving then a call to talk about my requirements.

I was over your way on sunday morning, that ford is rather high, went to go through it and noticed the marker was just under a metre lol.

ChrisS

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »

Gotta watch that ford....it's eaten more than a few cars over the years.  I think 1m is a bit much for a stock Jeep.....need a snorkel for that depth probably. :)

jay140285

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »

Its the only time since owning my jeep that I thought "if only I had my defender, all snorkel'd up"!

eddscott

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »

I'm thinking of using these guys for the LPG conversion on my XJ Orvis.

http://www.professautogas.co.uk/

jay140285

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »

I'm thinking of using these guys for the LPG conversion on my XJ Orvis.

http://www.professautogas.co.uk/

These the ones in Wales, I had look at them as well, I cannot comment on their work etc but my only concern was the places I look at want the car for a week on average which would seem logical given how complex the systems are, I am just concerned about it been done in a day.

Just my thoughts, and if they are good systems then the price is excellent. 

eddscott

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »

Well theres really two negative comments on the net for them.  One I suspect is a 50/50 (about some old beford van) and another where they rushed the job and some part or other was put too high and caused feed problems.

I think the XJ conversion shouldn't be too bad - given that its a reasonable old car its less likely to go wrong (I hope).  I can stop over in Cardiff so would give them at least 2 days to do the job so they haven't got to rush it.  I don't want a big tank but given the way petrol is going its going to be a sacrifice in order to keep the jeep.  I'd also want to make sure they deal with this additive or whatever it needs to not kill the engine (mines only done 58K)

jay140285

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

Fair comment, there is a significant cost saving to be had.

ChrisS

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »

FWIW, I'm intending getting Profess to convert my old Alfa. I was going to DIY....then after looking into it, decided it was hardly worth the agro given how cheap Profess are. They use a good ECU and you get a guarantee, and they seem to have a lot of happy punters out there.  The car isn't worth enough and it's not young enough to justify the full-on Prins conversion so I figure I'll give it a go. Works out to £1050 all in for a V6. Makes it worth the punt I think.

nomadsz

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »

Well, not making any claims about best or not, but picked up the GC on Saturday after conversion @ Prins UK.  Nice tidy job of work, all the parts neatly and securely located, all pipes & wires routed well, mounting brackets properly made and painted, they even repaired the plastic engine cover that was already cracked when I got the car. I can't really tell the difference when it's on gas or petrol. Only real clue is the fuel gauge isn't moving, and the 'miles to empty' figure has gone up, rather than down. Poor thing is confused!  Switches over to gas in less than a mile from cold (does depend on ambient - it's set to switch at 40 degrees water temp). When over that temp, it switches to gas after 5 seconds.  Driving along, if I switch back & forth I can't feel or see any change at all, other than the status lights on the wee switch and the faint click from the gas solenoids.

Proper job.

Also nice they way the guys who did the job took the time to show me round the installation and talk through how it all works, and explained why they did certain thigns in a particular way.

The biggest problem I can foresee.....I am a bit less shy of the throttle pedal now.....so I don't think I'll be getting quite so many MPG as I could....but it's still going to be our cheapest car to run.

Very happy, heartily recommend Prins Autogas UK in Wolverhampton.  Not the cheapest, but I reckon cheapest is often a shortcut to agro.

SO a year down the road what do you have to report. I am looking at doing the same to my 4.7 H.O. so prins with the fluid dispenser is a good investment??

eddscott

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »

I'd like to know too.  

I've got my jeep up for sale at the moment but I'm starting to wonder whether to just keep it and have a really good LPG system fitted.

I'd like to know what sort of real world MPG folk are getting from a 4.0L.  Say either the big tank across the back or an upright toroidal where the spare resides.  

If it works out to a genuine mid to high 30s (adjusted compared to petrol cost) mpg I might go for it.  I know I was talking about it before but I either sell it or do something about the MPG now as I'm doing mileage for work.  

jay140285

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »

Well I have had my BRC system fitted for coming up to 12months and I have had no issues at all.

MPG wise:

I have a fairly standard WJ 4.7V8h.o with 255/55R18 General Grabbers on it and a 2inch lift. I average real work mpg on gas 13.26mpg. But that is all short runs and around town mainly as the Mrs is using it. On a Run to France last year fully loaded towing a 26foot caravan averaging 65mph I averaged 14 to 15mpg.

JediJeep has a 4.7V8 he does mainly long distance but his jeep is always full to the brim of tools and takeaway wrappers. He runs a 2inch lift, 265/70R16 (I think) General Grabbers. he has more computer electronics plugged into the dash than NASA on a mission to Mars and averages very similar figures to me around town.

Then you have to remember LPG is nearly 1/2 the price still.

eddscott

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »

I can get 25mpg on petrol from my XJ on a run at a steady 65.   

On gas I assume it would be less so say about 20 odd.  Cost of fuel here is £1.40p and gas is about £0.80p.   Fuel here is expensive considering we have one of the biggest petro-chemical plants on our doorstep. 

I might even be able to con work into paying for it.  I'm owed some money so might be able to do a deal on having the system fitted without having to pay. 

jay140285

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

Makes sense then mate, I was only getting 17mpg on petrol before the conversion.

supersparks

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

my friend has a 4.0 facelift xj with a self fitted brc mixer system and gets around 120 miles from £20 of gas paying 68.9 ppl
i own a 4.0 wj with a professional fitted prins sequential system and get around 100 miles from £20 of gas paying 68.9 ppl
and if he floors his i am left watching it disappear into the distance ,not happy.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 10:41:39 PM »

Its a bunch of arse...ya loose boot underfloor space...more to go wrong...used to get over 17 on the V8.....whats the fucking problem...its a big 4x4...V8's dont like LPG....If ya cant stand the heat dont go near the fire...

big g

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

The I6 loves the stuff.

Gotta have the flashlube for the v8 or it's a world of heartache.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up