Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres????????????  (Read 2171 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Tyres????????????
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »

It's time for me to replace my tyres on the Jeep, the BFG muds that were on the Jeep when I got it were perished from sitting flat for a long time. I have considered putting inner tubes in them as they are basically brand new but I'm not sure if I should bother. I brought a second hand set (BFG MT's) a while back but they turned out to be lemons with uneven wear etc. My question is what tyres should I buy, my Jeep is driven to the event and back so they need to have some sort of road manners however they must be good off road so say 20% on road 80% off road. The trails here tend to be a mixture of peat/clay bogs and gravel/rock, the rocks are quite sharp so a good side wall strength would be preferable. The size I'm after is 33" x 12.50 x 15". Any pointers on a good tyre would be appreciated such as ones to steer clear of as well. Also if anyone knows of a good place to source them from that would help as the Irish lads are crap.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: Tyres????????????
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »

Coopers are always given the thumbs up altho I have a set Im yet to run them

Maxxis wear quick and are a fooker to balance

BFG's are good on the road but Im not impressed off road (no CF jibes thanks :003: )

Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »

Recip Trials (if you can get some in 33"- there don't seem to be any about at the mo) or Mickey Thompson's if you're feeling flush.
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »

KM muds are value.....
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »

Very happy with my Kumho Venture M/T's

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

Are you guys talking KL71's or just the MT's? seems I can only find listing for the KL71's. Whats the difference other than tread pattern

Ezz

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: TJ
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »

cooper STT
2009 JK Rubicon now sold
1997 TJ wrangler 4.0, jk rubicon 5.38 geared  axles, 38.5 mud treps,  101" wheelbase

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »

Are you guys talking KL71's or just the MT's? seems I can only find listing for the KL71's. Whats the difference other than tread pattern

These are good on road and just bearable off road.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

YT

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

I'm runnin KL71's. low on road noise and have coped with anything I've pointed them at, inc 8-10 inches of snow.

Nosebolt

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »

KL71s on lil'yella and a very good all round tyre, but like any multi use there will be compromise in some depts, still my first choice for a car that is used as a daily driver and weekend funbus

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »

I have KL71s and they are quieter than the old Goodyear MTRs they replaced. Not sure what mileage I've done on them so far but I average 8.5-9K a year so a few tens of thousand so far. Not done too much off road on them but they've been good enough for what I have done. First 33s I had were BFGs, and contrasting Bulldog's comments of good on road, they are the scariest tyres I've ever had fitted to the TJ. If it was bone dry they were OK, but in the wet they were as slippy as slippy thing on a non stick surface.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 11:27:28 PM »

Mudzillas - loud on road - but worth it for offroad :icon_super:
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

.................First 33s I had were BFGs, and contrasting Bulldog's comments of good on road, they are the scariest tyres I've ever had fitted to the TJ. If it was bone dry they were OK, but in the wet they were as slippy as slippy thing on a non stick surface.

that's what I meant by good  :lol_hitting:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »

did you get sorted for Tyres?

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »

Not yet as I'm working in Africa at present, I was just trying to get something arranged for when I return home in a couple of weeks. Why have you got something up your sleeve?

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »

Ive got 4 x 31s on my YJ , only 1000 miles but 4 years old. Was never keen on these are they are narrow ones, not sure of exact width but I'll  measure at the weekend. Not sure of brand but good grips and grips come onto the side wall. I'll get more detail at weekend.

Ive also got 4 x 31 BFG 4 years old on a cj7, not sure of milage, loads of thread and grip although there is some uneven wear on one and I can hear it when I drive on the road.

I'll take some pics at weekend. There all on chrome wheels at the moment.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »

Ken,

Thanks for the offer but I run 33"'s on mine, hope you find someone to sell them to. Try any of the Suzuki owners as they have the same stud pattern,

ShayneJ

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »

I have KL71s and they are quieter than the old Goodyear MTRs they replaced. Not sure what mileage I've done on them so far but I average 8.5-9K a year so a few tens of thousand so far. Not done too much off road on them but they've been good enough for what I have done. First 33s I had were BFGs, and contrasting Bulldog's comments of good on road, they are the scariest tyres I've ever had fitted to the TJ. If it was bone dry they were OK, but in the wet they were as slippy as slippy thing on a non stick surface.

Yep echo those comments kl's are a good all rounder fine for laneing and play days don't know about serious trialling though.
and every time i have had a motor with BFG's on they were fine on a dry road terrifying on a wet one and slightly better than useless
in anything more than a slightly moist greenlane

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »

Worse tyres I ever had we're the originals on the YJ when it was new ish........ 18months when I got it....

Wrangler ATs got me going sideways into a roundabout in Northern France in the rain....

BFG ATs in a 31" flavour were brilliant in comparison........
After  that things went up I tyre size and onto mud pattern so difficult to tel cos it saps the power so you seem to get into less trouble on the road :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
Pages: [1]   Go Up