Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil pressure issues AMC V8  (Read 680 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Oil pressure issues AMC V8
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »

Guys,

I'm having strange oil pressure issues with the V8, on brand new oil (15w40 + 1 litre of Lucas Oil Stabiliser) when cold the oil pressure is 55 PSI dropping to about 12 PSI when hot rising as soon as you give a boot full to about 40/45 PSI, unfortunatley after a couple of outings (4x4 sessions) this will drop to about 20 PSI cold and just above zero when warm and seems to fluctuate as if there was air within the system if you give is a bit of gas. In the past as soon as I change the oil and filter (K & N) the pressure resumes as per original (55/12/40+). Now I have done this twice so far and both times I have achieved better results with new oil but I don't want to have to do this each time I go out. This really makes no sense to me as you either have oil pressure or you don't. I'm not sure if this is just coensidental or there is other issues that is being masked by these symptoms. I have a good quality mechanical oil pressure gauge and a good quality oil pressure light (5 PSI I think).

I have also noted that at steep angles the oil pressure will drop right off (light on) and sometimes struggles to regain until its leveled out again. I have looked on the net and have seen suggestions of running 1/2 to 1 quart extra oil due to slow drain back of the oil but I'm not sure.

My initial thoughts are

1. A partially blocked oil pickup? - unlikely as the engine appears to have been well serviced
2. A worn oil pump? - Doesn't make sense as this would be a constant low pressure result
3. A sticking oil relief valve? - possible but seems strange that new oil changes the results

I pretty much stumped and I'm looking for ideas or whether anyone else has had similar issues and what they did to fix it.

I was looking on the net for a rebuild kit for the oil pump and found this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMC-V8-Motors-OIL-PUMP-PLATE-KIT-NEW-for-AMC-290-thru-401-motors-/140906733397?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ceb21f55

Has anyone used one? Do they do what they say?

Rather than through money at parts that may not be reuired I'm looking for advise first.

Bigfeetrob

Re: Oil pressure issues AMC V8
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »

Hi,

I have the AMC360 in my CJ7 and I am having some weird oil pressure readings too

I only bought the Jeep a few months back so am fairly new to the AMC engine but when I first start it up I get about 40PSI and as it gets warm it drops to 20PSI

As I am driving at low speeds it drops right down to about 8-9PSI but then goes back up to 20 when I boot it.

I thought it might be the sensor on its way out so I am going to change over from electrical to a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what that shows.

I have checked the oil levels and there has been no drop in the last few months so don't think im burning oil

Not sure if that's much help to you but sounds similar to what you are experiencing, have you looked at/ changed the sensor or are you already running a mechanical gauge ?

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up