Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1995 XJ 4.0 Running like a dog between 1400-1800 revs  (Read 661 times)

ScruffyDoug

1995 XJ 4.0 Running like a dog between 1400-1800 revs
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

Hi folks, looking for any help or suggestions on what's causing the following issue.

My 4.0 XJ has recently started to run really rough and clunky between about 1400-1800 revs (usually seems to be around 40-50mph), when going up any sort of hill (even a small incline) and especially if I've had to slow down for a junction etc at the bottom. Once it gets past this and up to 2000+ rpm it runs sweetly and will happily cruise along the motorway at 70 without any complaints.

I was also having an occasional little judder when sitting idling, so initially suspected it was just a missfire causing the problems so I've given it a full service, new plugs & leads etc but while the idling judder has cleared, the revs issue is still there. Noticed on some other posts here that the O2 sensor has been a culprit for some similar issues people have had, but they all seem to have been at higher rpm (3500+), whereas I'm having no problem at all at higher revs.

I've had a lesser version of this issue before, where if I'd been driving for a few hours straight, I'd start to get a bit of a juddering feeling (at any speed/revs, not just in the 1400-1800 window I'm experiencing now). It felt like there was maybe an issue with the fuel line somewhere, however I found that a bottle of Redex once a month has kept this issue at bay.

Any ideas?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: 1995 XJ 4.0 Running like a dog between 1400-1800 revs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »

Try a new distributor cap and rotor arm to finish off the full service you've done. They aren't that expensive and I've seen a variety of problems fixed by changing them.

ScruffyDoug

Re: 1995 XJ 4.0 Running like a dog between 1400-1800 revs
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »

Fair do, will give the cap & arm a go and see how I get on. Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up