Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ headlight upgrade  (Read 969 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
CJ headlight upgrade
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »

My lights were really bad in the 6, someone before me had done an H4 upgrade but it was poorly done and the buckets were hacked apart and the adjusters had either seized or broken so I couldn't adjust them either. So I started to look at options, one was to buy new parts from the US but they were not cheap and shipping was killing the costs. So I decided to do it with materials found in the UK. I started off by buying some WIPAC 7" plastic headlight buckets, then some new 7" headlights with internal side light (same as my originals). Unfortunately the WIPAC buckets are not as big (external diameter) as the original Jeep steel ones (didn't think of that before buying) so I had to make up a spacer to suit.

Headlight bucket with the back cut off to clear the radiator

Headlight bucket spacer made out of 1mm galv sheet

Headlight bucket and spacer joined together with rivets

To be able to use the original Jeep headlight surrounds I cut off the old locator bracket off the old bucket and welded it to the new spacer

Headlight bucket reinstalled and ready for headlight

Headlight finished with the Jeep surround

You would never know the difference, but I now have proper lights and directed where they should be. Took a little time to think how to do it but once sussed it was pretty quick and I'm really happy with the result.

Bigfeetrob

Re: CJ headlight upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »

Looks the business.
Have you stuck with halogen lamps or gone the hid way ?

Rob

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Re: CJ headlight upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »

No just standard H4's at the mo, don't really see the point as I don't drive at night much I just wanted the lights to work properly
Pages: [1]   Go Up