Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Fault Codes  (Read 1105 times)

Mike2909

ZJ Fault Codes
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »

Hello and thank you for having me on the forum.
My first post on the forum and a couple of problems would appreciate advice on.
I started going offroading with my ZJ a couple of months ago and that is all I use her for these days. Sometimes she is parked up for a week or two but starts first time and runs well.
1st problem.
About 2 weeks ago I got a misfire on her but it cleared up after maybe 30 -40 seconds. Did not come back for a few weeks and then same again, misfire , hesitation 20-30 secs and then it clears itself up. Not had the misfire for maybe a month and tonight when driving home from the offroad sight misfire came back again and again clears itself after 30-40 seconds.
2nd Problem
When I have driven to the offroad sight, 15 miles from where I live it will never switch from hi to lo range straight away, I sometimes have to park up for 20 minutes to allow her to cool down before it will go into lo range. When I am at home and the ZJ is cold it will switch from hi to lo straight away.
I checked for fault codes and got back the following

P0743: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P0753: Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
P0138: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P1765: [BMW] CAN Throttle Valve
[Mazda] Transmission 3-2 Timing Solenoid Valve
[Mitsubishi] Crank angle sensor open
[Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] Hydraulic Pressure Sensor 2 adaptation at limit
Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults
Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged
End of report.
Could anyone tell me if the reported codes have a connection to the problems I am having?

Sorry to be so long winded on my first post

Mike2909

Re: ZJ Fault Codes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:55:20 PM »

It is a 98 4.0 ZJ 109k that I have owned since 2009.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »

Hi Mike,

One of the ZJ affectionado's, annoracks, guru's on here will be along shorly.

Cheers Mate  :greggmo:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Mike2909

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:03:49 PM »

This morning before driving any distance I tried the transfer case and it switches from hi to lo and back again smooth as silk and with no hesitation.
Afterwards I checked the transfer case fluid level and this is correct.
I checked the shift linkage and there was no play in it so did not need adjusting,I lubricated it all as it was a wee bit squeaky when shifting.
I took out all the under bonnet solenoids, cleaned them and put them all back.
The gearbox works as it should in normal driving, changes gears smoothly , kickdown works when used and all gears are engaged when they should be.

Mike2909

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »

I have found the solution to the P0743 and P0753 fault codes. Apparently it is a faulty relay switch, and should be an easy fix. I have swopped over  a relay from spares I had. Now going to wipe the fault codes and see if they come back. I will not know until later today if this was affecting the hi-lo ratio.

Lukemagnum

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:26 AM »

Fault codes starting with 'P0###' are normally universal, ones starting with 'P1###' are manufacture specific.

If you have or have access to an iPhone there's a free app available called 'MobileDTC', that gives code descriptions by putting in the make and code on a drop down menu. I've tried a number of codes and it was spot on every time.

The Chrysler code for P1765 is: Transmission Power Relay Circuit, so you're already looking in the right place.

Hope this helps.

Mike2909

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »

Afraid I am an Android man .
I looked up the codes online and found the Chrysler ones.
The O2 sensor is causing the misfires and hesitation. Ordered a new sensor today so that should be sorted.
Went off roading today and still had to wait for 5 mins after arriving before it would go into Lo. Fickin annoying but shorter than the other day anyway.
I was off road for about 3 hours and when i came off it would not switch back to Hi  :headhack: 5  mins wait and then it will switch back and forward no problem.
On the US forums there are a few posts saying that if you have been driving highway it can take a while before it will go into Lo, has anyone here had the same problem.

Mike2909

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »

It looks as if it is all sorted . Fitted a new O2 sensor and a new relay. Apparently the O2 sensor fault code reading can also throw up other codes -(found this online) whether that is true or not I am not sure but worth taking into consideration in the future.
I have not been out for any length of drive yet but I cleared the fault codes and they have not yet come back, I am going to Glentarkie later today so I will see then if the codes come back or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up