Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knocking Noise  (Read 1838 times)

Mike2909

Knocking Noise
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »

Went off road today and after a climb up a belly high mudbath I got a knocking sound coming from - I think - drivetrain. Just a hollow sounding knock knock knock. It disappeared almost as quick as it came. Being a glutton for punishment I repeated the climb and got the knocking again but only when I had the left hand lock down, disappeared again just as fast. Checked underneath and could not see anything. Spent another hour there and it never came back and wanting to get home I didn't try the climb again.
Nothing at all on the way home but then it's in 2 wheel drive.
Any ideas of any impending doom I can be expecting or is it just the soundtrack to TJ off roading?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Knocking Noise
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »

Tis a guess.....
Left hand down and ragging it up a muddy hill.......... Noise from the front........first look would be a UJ......

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »

:iagree:
could have been mud build up

Mike2909

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »

How do I check the UJ (s) ?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:55:20 AM »

First would be grab it by hand and try and move it.
 Then put on full lock either way and rotate the wheel. Any play should be seen as it is rotated
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike2909

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »

Went  to Glentarkie again today and I think the CV joint has gone. Started knocking as soon as I put it 4x4. Straight lines only occasional noise but in lock constant knocking.
Back home I started to dismantle but could not get the hub nut off. FFS that is on tight. Plus gassed it and am leaving until tomorrow, if I can't get it off am I ok to grind the nut off?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »

Long breaker bar with scaffold pole on end usually does the trick for b'stard tight stuff :icon_twisted:

gordy

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »

It's not necessary to remove the hub nut to change the u joint, pull the whole shaft out with the hub attached.  May need to knock it out the knuckle as it's a tight fit, and on fitting ditch the brake rotor cover plate thing, easier to clean it all with that off.

Mike2909

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:59:38 PM »

Managed to get it off with a truck breaker bar from the works garage. Strange but the CV joint is not actually broken. The ABS - Tone Wheel was in 4 pieces but when I got the CV joint out it was visually not damaged. There has been plenty of water ingress as the bearings are rusty but there is no visual damage. It does however not move smoothly and in certain positions sticks.
I was expecting Spicer UJoints in a TJ that has competed for the last 5 years, but have the standard ball bearing cv joints. :icon_sad:

Mike2909

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »

What should I do to improve the axles as I think with the 35s I am going to become an expert in changing CV joints?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

The not moving and the stickiness in some positions means that the UJ is toast....
There are stronger UJs available but this just will mean more strain put on the yokes and or the actual shafts.

Mike2909

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »

The not moving and the stickiness in some positions means that the UJ is toast....
There are stronger UJs available but this just will mean more strain put on the yokes and or the actual shafts.

Thank you for the advice

Mike2909

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »

Went back off road today and still have the knock but nowhere near what it was. It is  a clicking noise and I only get it when in 4 wheel drive. Last week I had it constantly and that was the reason for changing the CV/UJ joint.
Today it started when I engaged 4x4 and started moving, it then disappeared and came back occasionally all day and then stopped.
I am trying to pre-empt anything serious going wrong and getting stranded but I am not sure what to look for.
I asked in another thread about the wheel bearings but I would have thought if it is a wheel bearing it would be a constant noise and would not disappear when in 2 wheel drive.

big g

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »

Prop joint.

Mike2909

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »

Prop joint.

How can I check and look for that??

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »

Underneath with wheels on ground and give prop a shake and a twist at each end whilst looking at the UJS trunnions and caps to see if there is unwanted movement.
Last resort take prop off and see if UJs are seized like you found the front UJ to be.

Mike2909

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »

Found no play in the wheel bearings and no play in the prop shaft UJ. I will take her put again tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint the  noise. I am as good as certain it is offside front but will see what I can find tomorrow.

tag

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »

T/c chain stretched , makes a tapping sound then a banging noise  ,in fwd..... :greggmo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up