Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ immobiliser fob problem  (Read 3079 times)

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Wrangler
  • Year: 1997
ZJ immobiliser fob problem
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:07:51 PM »

I have a 98ZJ diesel, and I have stupidly (wine was involved) sent the remote key fob through the washing machine, not surprisingly it doesn't work now.
I have read every post I can find regarding this type of thing, there are loads on lots of forums, but none really tell me how to remove the immobiliser. There is no way I'm paying to send my £350 car to a dealer and have a new one programmed, it's just to expensive. Does anyone know how I can remove the immobiliser and fool the ECU in to starting? thanks for the help.

big g

Re: ZJ immobiliser fob problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »

The May Schofield system can be removed there was a thread about it just  recently have a hunt in workshop section it may be in there.

Try this http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=26640.0

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »

I've been searching for immobiliser problems, never thought to look for not starting. That looks perfect, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks very much Big g!

jay140285

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »

You will need to remove the driver side of the dash in the jeep,

The lower trim, upper trim and speedo housing (I could only find a LHD image)

(Image Dash 1)

Once all the dash is removed you will see the rear metal dash frame, some of this can be un bolted for better view / access.

On the UK Jeeps you will obviously be working in the right of the jeep. You will be able to see lots of black wires about 1mm diameter.

These stretch between to modules, the retro fitted May and Scofield dealer unit and the factory Jeep alarm module.

You will need to unplug both units (one wiring harness is just the link between the two modules). Throw this out the way.

Remove the unit labelled May and Scofield, (top module from memory but double check).

(Image Dash 2)

So where you have removed the link harness (2)plug the other factory harness in its place.

(Image Dash 3)

Finally, you will see a wire running from this side of the dash behind the radio towards the glove box, this is a power link to the fuel pump.

You need to link wires 22 and 23 together on the plug that now goes in to the Jeep module, this will put a uninterrupted supply to the fuel pump.

The Jeep should now start without issue, you still need to use the Jeep fob on the key as without un alarming the jeep it will only run for 3 seconds.

All we have removed is the UK approved unit.

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »

Thanks Jay140285, that should be a big help, the only issue now is that With my remote fob knackered it won't run for more than 3s anyway? Am I better off sourcing a complete set of ECU's immobiliser unit and fob?

jay140285

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »

Thanks Jay140285, that should be a big help, the only issue now is that With my remote fob knackered it won't run for more than 3s anyway? Am I better off sourcing a complete set of ECU's immobiliser unit and fob?

Ahhhhh Shit, yes I still have to use my fob.

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »

Bugger, this is looking like a scrap job then, found a set of ecu's but the guy wants £250 for them, not worth that outlay on it  :icon_sad:

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:26 AM »

Can you open the drivers door with the key and it dissarm the immobiliser?

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »

Ok immediate panic over, I have just been told to hold both buttons down on the remote and it will reset, bloody worked! I'm still gunna remove this immobiliser though, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Thanks for the help.

jay140285

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »

Result,

But yes removing the May and Schofield is worth doing.

Mine started to send the alarm off randomly then whilst at Cheapfest (Sunday afternoon thank god), it went off whilst off roading, to then never start again until I stripped it all out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up