Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulbs....really this complicated?!  (Read 4892 times)

gregwho

Bulbs....really this complicated?!
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

I would like to change my headlights (not blown, just very dim) and it turns out that on the WJ bulbs are a nightmare to find!  I am meant to have 9006XS for the dipped headlight and 9005XS for the main beam.  Getting these specific fittings is difficult - but the non-XS are more common.  Does anyone know if fitting the non-XS will work ok?  I believe technically they are the same, but the XS has a straight connector and the non-XS has a 90deg angle fitting.  I guess the question is, will the non-XS physically fit and does the wiring loom reach (i think there some slack on it).

Cheers!

Panic mechanic!

Re: Bulbs....really this complicated?!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »

can I just say before you go down the route of playing with bulbs , get a meter and find out what voltage you are getting at the connector, with bulbs a 1v drop can mean losing as much as 15% of the output of the bulb.

gregwho

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »

I'll get the meter on it and check.  I'm guessing 12v great, anything less not great!  What could cause the decrease in voltage?

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »

90deg one won't fit, I know I have a pile of them  :banghead:

Ifd you want a set of front bulbs I got a job lot off ebay, they are the bluish tinge ones that are meant to be better in rain, feck knows if they are. PM me if you want 4

gregwho

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »

90deg one won't fit, I know I have a pile of them  :banghead:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!  I was just about to hit the buy on some osram non-XS units and give it a go, but I got your message before I did.

Have you ever looked into a HID upgrade?  I know they arent strictly road legal, but seems that police dont pull you up on it, its just the MOT that wouldnt pass.  I cant believe what a crap selection of headlight bulbs there are for the WJs!

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »

I'll get the meter on it and check.  I'm guessing 12v great, anything less not great!  What could cause the decrease in voltage?

as looms get older and the more they are used the resistance increases and modern looms are using much thinner wires so they deteriorate more, Ideally you will be getting 13v+( most modern bulbs are rated to actually deal with 13.5 or more volts but it does reduce bulb life) at the connector as the alternator usually kicks out 14+ volts on a good one ,
it is a common fault with many modern cars sadly,

gregwho

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »

as looms get older and the more they are used the resistance increases and modern looms are using much thinner wires so they deteriorate more, Ideally you will be getting 13v+( most modern bulbs are rated to actually deal with 13.5 or more volts but it does reduce bulb life) at the connector as the alternator usually kicks out 14+ volts on a good one ,
it is a common fault with many modern cars sadly,

Is there anything that can be done about it?  Other than replacing the loom?  I'm hoping my 13 year old loom is better than anything put in new cars  :greggmo:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »

A common things with vw's is to have a relay and better wiring installed into the headlamp, so there is less run in the wires and you use a better gauge wire to take the power to the bulb,and you use the original wiring to do the switching of the relay on and off.

it is usually be done by using a spotlamp/foglamp relay kit

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »

switching to running lights of relays is the same approach taken for making the headlights better on the XJ, minimises the load through the light switch which is a weak point on that vehicle
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »

A WG already has headlamp relays. There is no load on the switch, it just signals the BCM on resistive multiplex, which in turn operates the appropriate high or low beam relay.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:30:25 AM »

Oooo multiplexing systems, not just a simple cut and splice a wire i believe
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Fizz

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »

I put hid in my dipped. The 90 degree ones do fit but you have to loosen the plastic ring off a bit to get the wiring on then tighten it. Hid kit i got gives good light and pattern and no scatter. Was a 4k kit but cant remember  where from now, i changed the main beam to osram.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 10:04:03 PM »

it turns out that on the WJ bulbs are a nightmare to find!

Never found that a problem.  Last I needed to change a bulb or 2 on the WJ in 2011 I found these guys www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk

Buy on line, pay, fit..... job done. 

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »

Over the last 2 months I have had both my dipped beam bulbs blow on my Touareg, at 7.1/2 years old its done 101k so not too bad. On both occasions I have taken it to a VW dealer & they have supplied the genuine bulb & fitted it free, all for the princely sum of £6 a go.
Think this is quite common among dealers now competing with Halfrauds & the like, might be worth trying your local Jeep dealer, if you can find one  :icon_super:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

YT

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

Leave the wiring alone. Get a set of LEDs and that will cure the lack of light. Ya can pick up decent Cree units in all the main fitment types now. Low power draw, high light output. Job done. :)

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »

Leave the wiring alone. Get a set of LEDs and that will cure the lack of light. Ya can pick up decent Cree units in all the main fitment types now. Low power draw, high light output. Job done. :)

:imwitstupid:
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

gregwho

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 10:01:13 PM »

I like the sound of these, im doing some googling now!  Have you fitted them, and if so where did you buy from?  Is the beam pattern MOT suitable, or do you swap them back out for normal halogens, then back again once you've passed?

YT

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »

This was after I fitted LEDs (H4s) still with the standard, slightly rusting pots. Mot legal beam pattern is retained, so no swapping back and forth. If you search for Cree LED headlights in whatever fitment for yours (h3,4, etc) they should come up. :)

Before/after, nothing but headlight/side light bulbs changed

Or let me know the fitment tyoe, and I'll have a hunt on fleabay for ya.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »

I like the sound of these, im doing some googling now!  Have you fitted them, and if so where did you buy from?  Is the beam pattern MOT suitable, or do you swap them back out for normal halogens, then back again once you've passed?

What YT said really, although when it came to MOT time for me, the testers had trouble finding some of the pattern (where it kinks up at the side). but with correct adjustment, they passed her. BUlbs failed not long after that mind, and currently running standards again...
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)
Pages: [1]   Go Up