Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ/ZG stubborn bump stop cup bolt, help!  (Read 2054 times)

SlipperTip

ZJ/ZG stubborn bump stop cup bolt, help!
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »

Hi all, I'm currently in the process of putting in a 2" budget boost lift kit + all new shocks on my 97 ZJ/ZG so that I can put on some 245/75/16 tyres I've bought. I've already done the nearside front and started doing the offside front yesterday and have run into a problem I don't know how to solve.

Basically for those not familiar with the ZJ, in order to get the spring spacer on you need to remove the bump stop/jounce bumper cup from the spring tower in order to slide the lift spacer on. The cup is held on with 15mm bolt facing up into the wheel well and just my luck the one on my offside is so rusted that my 15mm socket is now just slipping when I'm trying to undo it. I tried plenty of plusgas and loads of heat via a heatgun and the thing wont budge and now the head is starting to slowly strip where its so rusty and I dont want to make it any worse.

So I see my options now as being either drilling the bolt out and using an extractor, cutting the cup off where it meets the spring tower and again drilling the thread of the bolt out, welding another nut onto the end of the bolt, or using a set of bolt extractor sockets such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-Expansion/dp/B000QW6K8I

My preferred option would be the bolt extractor sockets but again I have an issue in that both sets on that amazon link omit 15mm for some reason so I'd have to hope another one of the socket fits and wont shred the bolt even further.

So basically I now don't know what to do. I've never drilled out a bolt before and dont have access to a welder nor do I know how to use it. Any advice please!!!  :icon_sad:

terratology

Re: ZJ/ZG stubborn bump stop cup bolt, help!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »

Sounds brutal but have you tried hammering a smaller socket onto the 15mm bolt head?

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:04:31 PM »

Yep that can work.
But may heat as well
You may just end up drilling and tapping

SlipperTip

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »

Thanks guys, the bolt seems to be in that awkward in-between where the right sized socket will just slip but the smaller sized socket just wont go over. I did try hammering with the smaller socket but no joy. I've since heard back from Irwin and they said I should be able to use the 16mm socket from that kit and it would work for a 15mm so have bought a set and will report back. Failing that I might try the hold weld another nut on trick as a friend has now said they have access to a mig welder. Otherwise looks like it will be a drill job!

SlipperTip

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »

Now sorted!!  :ace:

That Irwin bolt grip set worked a treat.

Plus I managed to get the rest of the lift kit and shocks in and am booked in to get tyres fitted Tuesday! Woo hoo!

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

:icon_super:...Result!!!

Just completed a similar exercise to remove the last bolt on the belly plate on my red monster!!

SlipperTip

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »

:icon_super:...Result!!!

Just completed a similar exercise to remove the last bolt on the belly plate on my red monster!!

Nice one bazz :D

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »

Thanks.....I can tell you, that plate will never be attached using that system again.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »

nice one

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »

U bolts, over the chassis rails, nuts underneath...if they rust or get distorted, just grind them off and belly plate drops down.

Bugger the hassle!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up