Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Grinding (?) Noise  (Read 1613 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
ZJ Grinding (?) Noise
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »

I've finally remembered to ask on here about something the ZJ has been doing for a while now.

Often, when accelerating from a stop in Emily's ZJ, there's a noise from the rear of the car that sounds sort of mid way between a clicking and a grinding noise.
It's been doing this for about 20,000 miles now and goes through periods where you never hear it, some where you hear it at every pull away, and other times only (seemingly) when pulling away and the brakes are hot.

My XJ made a similar noise when I reinstalled a front ABS sensor before realising that the ABS ring was swollen and cracked, when the sensor contacted the ring. Is it possible that one of the rear ABS rings on the ZJ has cracked and the sensor is rubbing against it?

As it's relevant, I should also add that the ABS is completely non-functional, yet the light turns off after the usual start-up check routine.

Does my diagnosis sound vaguely correct, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Mike Pavelin

Re: ZJ Grinding (?) Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:30:18 PM »

Change the diff oil.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:00:28 PM »

Change the diff oil.

Interesting - I didn't even contemplate that it could be a diff issue! I'm actually planning to get all fluids done soon, so we'll see if that helps.
Am I right in thinking that a '97 ZJ 4.0 should have a limited slip rear diff?

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »

My ZJ was making similar noises. It was the LSD. I drove it for many miles like that until I bought the WJ.

Sooty Si

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »

Make sure you get the correct oil too, either with the friction additive or as an extra. I used this one recently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171269013304?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

in case I need to tow anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up