Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: resistor spec for 1997 Jeep wrangler imobiliser fob: Can you share a photo?  (Read 2898 times)

sianevans

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: TJ jeep
  • Year: 1997

Hello,

I am trying to fix a recently broken 1997 Jeep Wrangler imobiliser fob, which is preventing the car from starting. Would anyone know or could take a look / take a photo of the inside of there fob to determine the size and type of the resistor?
Ive attached an image for reference. Its the two button black fob. Thanks!!! A close up photo would really help!!

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport

Here's the board from mine. Click on the pic to enlarge it. The six (resistors I presume) on the left above the board are all marked 392.
The transistor right of the big brown thing is marked 5D-1. The small brown thing at the bottom left of the chip is marked A5. I don't see any markings on any of the other surface mount components.

The immobiliser and PCM are paired. I don't know if it's still possible but the immobiliser could be sent to the manufacturers and a touch key added. Your other option if the fob can't be repaired is to get a PCM from a US Jeep that didn't have security on it. 97-99 TJ PCMs should work but 98-99 had  SKIM security as an option. I think they also have a leak detection system I think so might generate a trouble code and CEL. You'd have to make sure engine size and transmission matches too.

sianevans

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: TJ jeep

Thank you, this was very helpful! The remote has been fixed. A capacitor had fallen loose and subsequently lost. Car rescued. Thank you also for the suggestion re: touch key, I will look into it. Much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up