Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions before its next service...  (Read 2941 times)

dannx

A few questions before its next service...
« on: October 09, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »

As you can see my beloved Orvid Td is in need of a bum lift! my first question is what's the best way to go about it considering cost and my local independant gararge in macclesfield will be doing the work for me.

Also I've got a water leak, that I've had for some time now, using up about 1 Lr a month, I can see a small drip from the nearside front rad area but panels obscure it. Should I leave it and see if it gets worse?

A question on lube :oops: ! I've been supplying my own oil for the service and have used a Valvolene max life oil for the past couple of changes, previously I use Mobil 1 but is as you know, expensive! I know a lot has been posted on oil as of late so what are your conclusive thoughts please.

One last thing, Is there a diff addative the garage should be using?

Thanks for any advice to keep the cost ownership down.
Hope you are all well in Jeepland :D  D

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »

Springs.... TD springs can be gotten from Lighthouse or Mansfield 4x4. A whole kit with springs, u-bolts, washers and bushings cost me about £240 inc delivery from Lighthouse, though that was 18 months ago.
Remember to soak the bolts through the springs and the ubolts VERY well with decent de-seizing oil if you're going to get a garage to do it, cus it will potentially take them ages to undo them, and cost you some serious coin. The best penetrating fluid is WURTH saBesto Ultra 2040, but GT-85 (from the cycle bit in Halfrauds) is good too.

Which side of the rad is the water coming from? Could be a pipe, split rad, or even a leaking drain valve.

Oil - I use magnatec. I wouldn't worry too much about getting really expensive stuff, but don't get the £5 a gallon stuff either. I'd just let the garage use the oil out of their drum to be honest.

The LSD needs friction modifier. It's a few quid from the dealer. Just go in and tell you them you want friction modifier for your lsd.

(BTW, your springs don't look all that bad to me)

dannx

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »

Thanks Tim for your advice, the water leak seems to be coming from the nearside of the rad and dripping down/around the chassis, I suppose It will need investigation :cry:
Will the springs be cheaper for me to buy or the garage would you know?

Cheers mate!

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »

Could be hole in rad or busted hose.

I wouldn't ask the garage to get you the springs, as they'll just go to the dealer and you'll pay dealer prices.

tedthefed

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: JLUR
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »

I had a leak from that area, turned out that the bottom hose had perished (nackered) new one fitted no probs.
opps didn't see that

dannx

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »

Thanks tedthefed, will have to get it checked,

Just well I have everyones attention, one more thing, whilst driving in a wet weather the rear brakes grab, the mechanic on its last service said it was a common characteristic of the ABS system and will only notice it in the wet because of the decrease in tyre/road friction however I am not at all convinced. Repeted heavy braking also doesnt seem to dry anything out and only seems to stop after a drive in the dry

:?
Thanks for any thoughts................

mack

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »

Quote from: "dannx"
the water leak seems to be coming from the nearside of the rad and dripping down/around the chassis, I suppose It will need investigation

I had a leak in that area, then the radiator burst, which when travelling on a dual carriageway, caused a bit of overheating, resulting in two cracked heads. (which have yet to be fixed)  :(  

(2000, W reg TD)

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »

Had a look at the schematic for your 2.5TD cooling system, and if it's nearside, it's either a hole in the rad, or a hole in the top hose.

dannx

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »

Thanks for looking tim, will get it checked :?
Pages: [1]   Go Up