Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel Starting Issues - Grand Cherokee 3.1TD 1999  (Read 8469 times)

Dezman

Diesel Starting Issues - Grand Cherokee 3.1TD 1999
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:48:43 AM »

Hi,

I have a Grand Cherokee 3.1TD Limited 1999 (newer shape), which every morning takes a good 30 seconds to start after the glow plugs have done their thing.

I replaced all the glow plugs and put in a new battery a few months ago.

Local Jeep dealer has had it a couple of times.  First time, they broke the seal on the fuel filter housing and had to replace the entire bracket for £200.00
Second time, they suggested replacing all the glow plugs.

It feels like there is no fuel in the engine upon starting.  There is fuel in the water separator?? (glass bowl under the fuel filter) and I can not find a visible leak anywhere.

So I guess it could be either:  Faulty fuel pump.  Is this mechanical off the belt or electric?  Is there anyway of testing this without dismantling?
Or something more sinister!

PS: Does anyone know of a good Jeep mechanic in Scotland?

All advice greatfully received!

Thanks, Dez.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »

Check the spill pipes on the injectors, and the blanking plug on the redundant spill pipe stub on the rearmost injector. They perish, causing air leaks and poor starting.

Dezman

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »

Update.

So this morning I thought I'd prime up the system using the priming pump on top of the filter housing.  Pumped it up until I heard (and smelt) diesel hissing from somewhere and it started perfectly.

Mike, you say spill pipes??  Is that the small linking pipes between each injector.  So there should be one at the end with a blanking cap on it?

tartanzj

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »

Dezman, see your having the stealership experience too.

I had the same trouble in Ayrshire trying to find someone who knew about jeeps cos the dealerships don't  :lol:  :lol:

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:19:40 PM »

Yes, they're the ones.

roboughton

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

I too have had the stealership problems in Wales (i live 3 miles from them)

I also had a similar problem as in their was no fuel and it did not want to start. I also had the fuel filter housing replaced and this seamed to cure the problem but i now have a fuel leak that is very small and comes from behind the fuel pump on the front of the engine.

The problem they say with the filter housing is that if fails to allow the fuel to the rail as the no return flap/valve sticks but i don't know if they were lying or not

My one is the 2.7 version i am yet to fix the problems :(

I have not noticed a fuel primer on the filter housing i will take a look again as its only some days it wont start.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »

The 2.7 doesn't have a primer.

roboughton

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »

How are you to prime it then? or is it supposed to do it itself?

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »

Officially there is a special tool that sucks the fuel through into the system through a fitting on the fuel system. However if you fill your new filter with diesel when putting it on, cranking the engine will do the rest eventually.

roboughton

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
Officially there is a special tool that sucks the fuel through into the system through a fitting on the fuel system. However if you fill your new filter with diesel when putting it on, cranking the engine will do the rest eventually.

Thanks for that i have seen them using that tool before its like a vacuum sort of thing.  Love the help you get on Forums!!!!!

Dezman

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:56:13 PM »

Well thank you Tartanzj.  I had a good chat with Alan at Gibson Autos and have my beloved booked in with them next week.

He recons worst case is that one of the injectors has a crack that is letting air into the system.  Watch this space!
Pages: [1]   Go Up