Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE: the EVEN MORE exciting world of paint  (Read 4109 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
UPDATE: the EVEN MORE exciting world of paint
« on: March 18, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »

Morning, looks like my sprayer is letting me down so im gonna have to get the brushes out. Would simply like to know how much paint you reckon i need to go from 'sand' to 'matt black' on a CJ7?

i will only be doing the body, cant be bothered with the hardtop or doors.

tedious question i appreciate but at approx £65 for 5lt i can do without buying too much (or too little).

as usual, appreciate you taking the time
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bishops Finger

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »

My mate used to use Dulux and a roller on his Disco... :lol:

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:37:56 PM »

The law on spraying changed this year and they have made it illeagal to sell 2 pak for use for spraying cars .

Celulose is also very hard to get apart from ebay same rules i believe.

They want everyone to use water based paint which alot of back street sprayers wont spend the money for the equipment spray guns ,oven ,etc

you can buy 2 pak etc for spraying boats ,trucks and stuff other than Cars .

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »

Quote from: "dtooth"
The law on spraying changed this year and they have made it illeagal to sell 2 pak for use for spraying cars.

:lol: ), does that in anyway match what you're saying?

and any ideas how many litres i will need?

cheers
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

MK1

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »

It's been a long time since I did any spraying, but here goes.

Synth is the cheapest and easiest to use. It will go over previous paint without any problems, but as your man said, this is not the case for celly or two pack.

I would think a couple of litres of paint and thinners would be enough.

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »

appreciated gents, very handy as synthetic is also the cheapest  :-D

before this thread gets lost in the mists of time, out of curiosity, what exactly is '2 pack'?

tag

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »

2 pack  unlike cellulose or synthetic paint  requires a activator to make it harden (dry)  the same as epoxy resin it needs a catalyst, once it has been mixed it starts to harden, cellulose and synth paint requires heat (temperature) to dry. 2 pack is a very hard paint and can be sprayed on thick i have used 2pack used properly its very good, but beware you must wear a mask as it contains traces of arsenic :shock:

Tragic

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »

Which is why it was banned :supz:  Coolest colour yet devised by man....... 8-)  8-)

RockingDad

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57:23 PM »

Quote from: "Bulldog67"
Quote from: "dtooth"
The law on spraying changed this year and they have made it illeagal to sell 2 pak for use for spraying cars.

:lol:

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »

Quote from: "tag"
2 pack  unlike cellulose or synthetic paint  requires a activator to make it harden (dry)  the same as epoxy resin it needs a catalyst, once it has been mixed it starts to harden, cellulose and synth paint requires heat (temperature) to dry. 2 pack is a very hard paint and can be sprayed on thick i have used 2pack used properly its very good, but beware you must wear a mask as it contains traces of arsenic :smt015

its synthetic paint, a roller brush, and some sunshine for me  :-D

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »

Quote from: "Tragic"
Matt black CJ7?  8-)  8-)

:smt023 u know it...!  :smt023

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

Matt black is cool, but I'm also liking spraycan camo too.

(Please excuse the Phatphux in the photo)

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

yep, thats a cool lookin motor, but lets face it, a CJ with a 'bit fucked lookin' paint job is just the bollox full stop

tag

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »

Quote from: "Bulldog67"
Quote from: "tag"
2 pack  unlike cellulose or synthetic paint  requires a activator to make it harden (dry)  the same as epoxy resin it needs a catalyst, once it has been mixed it starts to harden, cellulose and synth paint requires heat (temperature) to dry. 2 pack is a very hard paint and can be sprayed on thick i have used 2pack used properly its very good, but beware you must wear a mask as it contains traces of arsenic :smt015

its synthetic paint, a roller brush, and some sunshine for me  :lol:

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »

tag, how very dare you, i will have you know my toolbox is generously equipped with a big hammer, an even bigger hammer and the all important chainsaw  :lol:  (and breakdown membership!!)

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:02:45 PM »

A couple of litres with appropriate thinners should be plenty.  I sprayed mine from deep red to 'kin bright BA red in three coats.  Each coat was around a quarter of a litre of paint, same qty of hardener and a large splash of thinner.  And yes I used two pack, high solid, UV resistant polyurethane....  :twisted:

Strongly recommend a HVLP gun.

Paint a small patch first which isn't seen in case you do have a reaction to the existing paint.

And good luck!

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »

Quote from: "Ric Jacques"
same qty of hardener and a large splash of thinner.  Strongly recommend a HVLP gun.

:lol:

HVLP Gun? Hardener?

I have synthetic paint (matt black), primer (he is trying to flog me grey?) and thinners (high gloss - doesnt sound right coz i dont want it glossy?).

what else do i need?  :lol:

Ric Jacques

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 01:57:38 AM »

He he he!

Don't worry 'bout hardener that's part of the two pack thing which you won't have.  You should be using just synthetic paint and thinners.

I was using aircraft paint  :shock:  cos it's as hard as nails and easy to clean.

HVLP (High Velocity Low Pressure) gun is good because it doesn't use masses of air - a smallish compressor is enough to cope.  The paint comes out more finely atomised than a normal gun which produces a better finish.  Just kind of floats the paint onto the job.

Try what you have and see if you're happy with the finish.  For a matt finish I guess a normal gun is plenty sufficient.

Grey is a good primer for black.

Don't forget to rub down with wet and dry first.  Degrease with some thinner.

Most important:

Wear the best mask you can get your mitts on.  Make sure it's one of those canister types not just a dust mask, and don't forget goggles

Bulldog67

• Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »

:smt023

cheers Ric, your brain, and plain speaking english, is much appreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up