Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error code 355 & Engine Missfire, struggles to rev up  (Read 2969 times)

Sweatyfox

Error code 355 & Engine Missfire, struggles to rev up
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »

Hi,

My brothers 1995 Cherokee 4.0L has developed a missfire and runs rough, it starts missfiring around 3000 to 4000rpm and wont clear up.

He has managed to retrieve the error code of 355, and searching on this site have founf this:

355 Coil #5 is not reaching peak current at the right time.
This makes it sound like there is 6 coils on the cherokee?

As far as I know there is only one coil? or is there something im missing?

My brother has swapped his coil with mine, but it made no difference and still missfires.

any ideas to what it could be?  Have also tried new plugs, leads & dizzy cap.

Cheers.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:51 PM »

There is no such code on a '95 and you only have a single ignition coil.

It sounds like there are no codes recorded to be honest. If you're reading from the check engine light you will have had flash.....flashflash(code 12 start of test) folowed by flashflashflashflashflash.....flashflashflashflashflash(code 55 end of test)

If it's runnining ok at low revs but struggling at high rpm, have you checked the cat hasn't started to fall to bits and obstruct the exhaust?

Sweatyfox

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:00:38 PM »

Hi, I have had an update from my brother which is this:

It will start and idle fine, from a hot or cold start, however from a cold start it will only rev to about 1750rpm before misfiring, as the temp guage reaches about a quarter warmed up it revs to about 2500rpm and about 3500rpm half way up the temp guage, the guage doesn't get any higher than this during normal driving. After about half an hour it will rev to 4500rpm, then it still misfires.  

I have replaced the plugs, leads, rotor arm, distributor cap, coil, CAT and 02/lambda sensor in the zorst, none of this has cured the problem.

Help - Any other ideas??

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »

Fuel pressure?
Pages: [1]   Go Up