Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zj drivebelt  (Read 3014 times)

mean dog

zj drivebelt
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »

gonna change drivebelt on my 4 ltr "98 zj, but it ain't got auto. tensioner like my good old xj, so what tension do I adjust the belt, and after a given mileage, do I need to adjust again? :-?
cheers

scrw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »

Usually 1/2" deflection on the longest straight run with firm pressure from 1 finger, check after a few hundred miles

mean dog

zj drivebelt
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »

cheer's scrw,
                   that's my weekend job sorted :-D

mrzj

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »

I just do it till it looks and feels about right, don’t really know what right is but not too loose and not solid. I did recently have a problem with mine though (again 4.0 zj), just next to the alternator there’s a plastic idler wheel, when the belts off just check there’s not too much play in it as  mine broke coming back from jeepey jamboree.

The belt came off and went behind it and had stated cutting through it, it made it home and I didn’t realise till the day after when I was checking out what the funny sound was.  

Alternatively I may have forgot to re tension it and it may have slid off and then broken the idler? Not sure but either way it broke.

mean dog

zj drive belt
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »

cheer's MRZJ,
                    Ain't done it yet, bloody rained all weekend, try next weekend, thank's for the info. :roll:
Pages: [1]   Go Up