Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tyre legality/type aproval  (Read 5447 times)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
tyre legality/type aproval
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »

after the qestion was raised over weather boggers were road legal i dicided to go look up the curant testers guide lines and rules and also spoke to tame minestery contact

it would seem that as long as the tyres are correctly fitted all the same and in good condition  and that the tyres are marked with the size the speed rating if apropriate and that it is marked as radial/remold/crossply  and that they meet the tyre loading of the vehicle there is no reason for rejection

in fact you can legaly get an mot on a tyre that is marked not for road use if and this is the only time the e mark is mentioned
it carrys the emark with a code no

the minestry bod said that  it is acepted that the markings contained below are all aceptable in the uk

the markings with asterics are what should be on a north american made tyre
to be considered compliyant

ther are laws in the pipe line that may change this due in a few years
i dont know about boggers as i dont have any to look at the markings on but this is what you need to look for if you are buying any mad tyres

if you can add more info please do but this is what i was told today

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
Re: tyre legality/type aproval
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:37:48 PM »

seems like chapter and verse to me  :smt023
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »

I hate quoting the law, it's so anal, but this seems to need clearing up.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20031316.htm Statutory Instrument 2003 No. 1316
The Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 2003

This one is fairly readable!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »

i cant get it to work

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »

fixed

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »

ta mate

none of wich is contaned in the testers online [vosa site] guidelines i dint evan see the 2 mil for tyre tread across the whole tread

seems that not all departments of the government acept that not all of the world is in the eu and some do

there must be a dispensation for some obsolete tyres prewar cars and military vehicles spring to mind

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »

a significant hi-jack here but as u mentionin mot's, had a mate take his 1981 Golf Cabriolet (yup he is a tart) for its mot today and it failed coz it aint got a rear fog light (he removed it coz it 'stopped the lines bein clean' - dont ask me what he is on about), does that apply to mine? the mot tester said anyone with a post 1980 car has gotta have a rear fog, new law or just euro based cars (his is german)?

also saw yesterday that a canadian province have effectively banned liftered and lowered vehicles, and its gonna be applied retrospectively, that's if i understood properly anyway, that aint an idea we want our idiot government to pick up on! link below:

http://nsjc.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... 301&page=1
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »

nope it would have been fiited with one when new so it has to have one now (the golf that is), you can get away with it on the jeep cos it wasn't original fitment, and less of the tart , I had one of them  :wavefinger:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »

In some cases, the regulations for the sale of tyres bear very little resemblence to the regulations for what you can actually use. All vehicles registered after the 1st April 1980 must have one fog lamp fitted to the centre or offside rear. This still applies if it was imported from acountry which does not fit rear fog lamps.

scrw

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »

I had my newly built westfield fail its SVA test in 2002 because the Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres wern't E stamped, seems I got a set of grey import versions. Anal tester spotted it and failed it

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »

used to work for goodyear ,delivering tyres and got to know a lot about them, they did have a problem a few years back with foreign copies,all goodyear tyres are 'e' marked,the fakes aren't but I have seen good year technicians miss em, incidently your F1's would have been made in newcastle upton tyne, they didn't move oversea's til 2006

Bishops Finger

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »

Last time I looked Newcastle upon Tyne was a foreign land..... :lol:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »

managed to get hold of tame chappy again he seems to think that tims link refers to suplyers as companys who are making and remanufactering tyres and if they are uk or eu based yup they have to obay eu guidlines and rules
he also says that new tyres are going to be harder to get as eu directives are leading to massive expanshion of remolded and remix tyres to almost cut out scrap tyres in a wider green policy from the eu

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:35:33 PM »

if you read this part :
PART II

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO THE SUPPLY OF TYRES
etc etc

supply of tyres, that would be the tyre retailer, its also a consumer law,so again aimed at protecting the customer, not the retailer;

at the end of the day if I had some idiot crash into me in a jeep on boggers on the road, I know exactly what I would be pointing out to the police, the insurance etc etc

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »

i know you are part time at the mo, but are you studying road traffic law in your free time
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »

you wont be invited out on convoy with us if i am in the gt then buddy. i am sure boggers are legal. maxi cross aint cos it says so on the manufacturers site.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 10:47:58 PM »

what you are saying is if we are running off road tyres on the truck, we would be liable in any accident claim  :?:

cos we on the road

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »

Quote from: "Panic mechanic!"

at the end of the day if I had some idiot crash into me in a jeep on boggers on the road, I know exactly what I would be pointing out to the police, the insurance etc etc

i would show em how far your tyres stick out :butthead:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 10:52:08 PM »

god i wish i was part time!, er no not studying , but working with goodyear , contintental kumho and toyo,in the past, you do pick up a lot of things,and I won't mention my application to vosa.

by the way mocaj , I would change them headlamps, square  is a lot more legal  :wavefinger:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »

Quote from: "greggmo"
you wont be invited out on convoy with us if i am in the gt then buddy. i am sure boggers are legal. maxi cross aint cos it says so on the manufacturers site.

simply question, simple answer.
if they are that good and legal, why don't they sell 'em here themself?

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »

ahhhhh shaaaaaaaddaaaaappp.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »

Quote from: "my other cars a jeep"
what you are saying is if we are running off road tyres on the truck, we would be liable in any accident claim  :?:

cos we on the road

nope,not if they are approved for uk use.I have had a vw beetle baja ( dave will explain) with US regrooved tyres on it, totally illegal here, but it never stopped them getting here.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »

Quote from: "greggmo"
ahhhhh shaaaaaaaddaaaaappp.

you smell funny :butthead:  :butthead:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:52 AM »

luckily i cant aford any of the sexy imports anyways  so i am safe anyways but there is no mention of vendors
i will see if more info can be found personly i will for the moment take heed of the oficeal vosa mot guide lines
re the vw beetle on regroovable tyres it was not the tyre that was ileagle only its aplication [pasenger car]
if they had been on somkind of twinwheel pickup they would be fine

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Pages: [1]   Go Up