Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KJ Lifts  (Read 2505 times)

MightyTharg

KJ Lifts
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:15 PM »

Anybody here in the UK lifted a diesel KJ and can share their experience/wisdom/pain before I embark upon this journey?

Got a 2003 2.8 diesel KJ and my thoughts were to lift it no more than 2-2.5" and fit something like a 245/70 - 245/75 tyres.

So I'm interested to hear of your own thoughts on what may have worked well and what may have disappointed.

Cheers

momos

Re: KJ Lifts
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »

me too, but there is a difference between the diesels and petrols due to weight, so the spacer jobbies I looked into might not be suitable for yours.....
others more wiser will advise!
 :icon_biggrin:

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »

The best 2.5" lift consists of replacement OME (Old Man Emu) heavy duty springs and shocks.  It is about 5 hours labour, and last time I checked, the parts cost over £800 from www.tbruk.com.

The Americans have the 2.8 crd engine, and some good advice can be found on www.lostkjs.com and www.jeepkj.com.  Both sites have a European sub forum.

Tonycrd (from Spain), a member of both forums, installed the cheaper spacer option first, but didn't like the way it drove on the road, so upgraded to OME springs and shocks.  I have the part numbers somewhere on my computer, since I did consider installing a lift. 

With a 2.5" lift, it is possible to fit 31" tyres, although some trimming may be required.  245/75r16 should fit.

Ivan
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

rob.79

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »

I,ve fitted a rubber spacer kit to my KJ 2.5 CRD, its simple spacing blocks below each spring,  While not ideal, it was down to budget and the need for more ground clearence mostly, its given me around 1.75" on the front and around 2" on the rear, which gets the front skid plate away from the ruts and should alow my to get some 245 75's on... if finances would alow i'd have gone for the full old man emu kit. the spaces do effect the articulation a little, not that the KJ has much to start with.. there are several kits availible, there is one with rear springs and shocks and spacers, outside of the front strut, e.i a higher strut top mount or a spacer between the lower part of the shocker and the lower mount...

the on road ride is a little softer too....

rob.79

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »

I also fitted 245 70 16 toyo A/T's  before i lifted my KJ, seemed ok with very few issues,  occasionaly caught the inner arch liners/trims off road..

Bishops Finger

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:13:48 PM »

Think its very good folk are modding much newer Jeeps..... :icon_super:

momos

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »

i reckon if i can do 1 thing a year.....well it was tires and wheels this/last year ops failed already

although the engine swap was a biggie and can last 2 years work  :hysterical:

MightyTharg

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

Thanks for advice chaps.

Been scouting the KJ forums mentioned - full of interesting stuff although at times I've suffered from information overload and been somewhat dazed and confused.  This is only my 4th four wheeler after all (I am on my 29th motorcycle though) and my youth was mispent working on old british motorcycles rather than anything with 4 wheels.

Thoughts at the moment are to go for a very modest tyre upgrade to some 245/70 16 BFG ATs (and very little impact on road manners as a result) and maybe in the next month or two an OME lift.

Currently debating what strength/weight springs to go for though - ie go heavier duty with thoughts of an ARB (or similar) bumper in the future and suffer a harsher ride as a result?

Sod's law has struck at the moment though and the Jeep is currently receiving a brand new fuel pump - should be back with me at the weekend.

Cheers

ivanidea

• Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Florida
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »

You will need the heavy duty option for the diesel engine.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

momos

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »

re bumper, 'Ted the fed' introduced me to this...
http://detoursusa.com/kjbackbone.php

another option.... :icon_biggrin:

MightyTharg

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

Nice idea on the bumper.

Currently investigating on 3 fronts for springs:

- OME
 - TJM
 - King Springs

What is it with Australians and making springs?  I thought we sent them over there to break rocks or something?

Shocks/Struts likely to be OME or TJM.

Found a numpty level pictorial guide to flattening the pinch weld (which was nice) so feeling comfortable now in going to a 245 75 16 (post-lift).

Always assuming that my KJ comes back from the dealer with a working fuel pump....  :icon_rolleyes:

momos

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »

....kangaroos?.... :hysterical:
sorry

.....Found a numpty level pictorial guide to flattening the pinch weld (which was nice).....what does that mean?
what protection are you using underneath?
oil filters vulnerable even after a lift....
i'll just spend yer wads eh?
 :icon_biggrin:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »

The oil filter position is a worry.....are there skid plates>

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 07:52:01 AM »

are there any pics i am interested to see what can be done to them at first glance they dont look overly sturdy but cant help wonder

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

MightyTharg

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »

No pics as yet - I've not started on any of this as yet as it's taken me this long trawling forums and searching for advice and  I'm still waiting on responses from suppliers for springs / shocks / struts.

The jeep has also been at the dealer for a new fuel pump but I should be picking it up today.

Plan of attack is:

1) pick up jeep - make sure it works.
2) fit lift kit
3) fit tyres
4) pause, save cash, drive jeep
5) skids

Pinch weld:  http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34295

ivanidea

• Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Florida
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »

I would put a skid plate at the top of the list, considering the location of the oil filter, and not forgetting the cost of replacing transfer case or autobox if you hit hit anything!

rob.79

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »

HMMM fuel pump, my KJ had some running issues when i bought it about 3 years ago, the stealers diagnosed a high pressure fuel pump.... :banghead:  it was replaced, but wasn't the fault, I ended up fitting 4 injectors £££££££££££££ and i eventually got the problem sorted..

rob.79

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »

As I recall, his lordship was most displeased with the delays in buying from Rocky Road.

momos

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »

i actually rang them a whie ago asking which would be the best, like if there was a combined plate that did the transfer and autobox and they suggested that the most important thing i should do is rock sliders..... :017:
i told him we have mud and ruts not so much rocks..... anyways for my uneducated knowledge of such things i left it as they were twice as much at the time  :icon_rolleyes:
hohoho

MightyTharg

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »

Plan of attack is:

1) pick up jeep - make sure it works.

Oh well, failed at the first hurdle  :banghead_125:

Dealer is prepared to give me my money back having failed in the past fortnight to resolve the problem despite the "assistance" of the local stealership and the "diesel expert" they also enlisted.:sign0065:

Looks like I'm hunting for a vehicle again, ho hum.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »

Least they honour a warrenty...Ivan ..have you a part no for the engine skid plate???

ivanidea

• Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Florida
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »

ASFIR GEAR/TRANSFER PLATE DIESEL AUTO    29-541060    (£205 + £15 delivery).
it's not listed in the shop, but can be ordered using the direct order option (top menu) and quoting the above part number, the price is £261.14 + delivery.

I chose ASFIR since it is made of aluminium and is therefore lighter, ideal for everyday road driving and the occasional light offroading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up