Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longer U bolts for leaf springs  (Read 2419 times)

Norm

Longer U bolts for leaf springs
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »

Any idea where I can source longer U bolts for my rear xj axle.Its a converted G-wagon axle and by the time I have welded up spring perches and put on the upside down bump stops the bolt ends will be know where to be seen. :icon_rolleyes:

sprintagogo

Re: Longer U bolts for leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »

What diameter are the axle tubes? I think I still have a set that were used with my lift kit for a while before I swapped to the thicker Chrysler 8.25 axle.
If you let me now the diameter I will measure my set and the length so you can see if they will work.  :icon_winkle:

Norm

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »

They are about 75-76 mm diameter.Thanks.  :icon_biggrin:

sprintagogo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »

Sorry Norm but I can't help you with these. The longer ones I have are for the Dana 35 axle which is narrower (about 68-70mm) and I also have a set of wider ones for the Chrysler axle which measure around 76-78mm but are the standard Jeep set so are really short, only just long enough for the standard set-up.

A lot of people on these forums mention Dave at llamma 4x4 for things suspension related. I have no dealings with him but it sounds as though he is helpful, knowledgable and not expensive so could be worth a try?

Norm

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »

Ok,no problem,not in any great rush for them,just thought I would ask while it was on me mind. :icon_biggrin:

tag

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »

Try your local land rover garage  i got some  for my cherry,  take your old one to compare   they do a few sizes and lengths for series 2, 3 landy.   good luck........

warp

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:37:26 PM »

I had an extera leaf fitted to my rear leaves at a place in wednesbury called Jones springs they make them to measure and have U bolts to fit most things there number is 0121 568 7575

Norm

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »

Thanks for the info,will ring around,better find out just how long I need them. :icon_winkle:

warp

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:24:03 PM »

As a stop gap measure get a 1m length of 12mm all thread and bend it to shape, then cut to length. As you tighten it up it will form around the axle shaft.

It's not pretty but it will get you out of a bind until you get some proper ones

sprintagogo

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »

As a stop gap measure get a 1m length of 12mm all thread and bend it to shape, then cut to length.

NOOOOOoooooooo.......

Threaded rod is useless and dangerous in a situation like this, unless warp means as an emergency trail fix to get back to tarmac so you can await recovery! Common threaded bar is about as strong as putty and has little tensile strength. It is far below the standard required for holding on major components like axles (this is quite important, Think what could happen when it fails).

Nosebolt

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

just put a piece of threaded bar in a vice and bend it, it will snap, even as a trail fix i would rather use a ratchet strap.

Norm

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »

Not in any rush,axle still on bench,trying to sort locker actuation.I can get air to operate it on the bench,but wondering if it will hold it in position under load.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »

I got some custom ones made by GME springs in Coventry. I don't know where you are in the country but a local leaf spring place should be able to source or make some for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up