Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CHEROKEE ALLOY WHEEL PROBLEMS  (Read 1320 times)

wildrover

CHEROKEE ALLOY WHEEL PROBLEMS
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »

I have a 97 mk 2 cherokee diesal , and among its problems is one causing the front tyre to go flat...

The first time it happened was in the big snow last year , i mean the Polish big snow , not the half an inch we get in the UK , this was five feet deep in places on my farm...!

Anyways , as i was ploughing my way across the yard in my Jeep , something felt not right , so i go out to have a look , and saw the front tyre had gone flat , not just flat , but had come away from the edge of the rim , so was impossible to pump up with a footpump...

I took it down to the local tyre man , and asked him to take the tyre off , turn it around to even out the wear , and put it back on , and pump it up...no problem...

Now , almost a year later the dam tyre has done exactly the same thing again , for reasons not known to me...?

My Polish mechanic friend seems to think the tyre is maybe a little bit skinny for the Jeep rim , but its the correct size...  We both reckon its the wheel rim that is not making a good seal with the tyre , is this a common problem with Jeep alloys , and is giving the rim a good clean up before putting the tyre on the answer  or is there another way...
Your help would be appreciated...  

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
Re: CHEROKEE ALLOY WHEEL PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »

I understand it is a common problem with alloy wheels, soemthing to do with how they corrode on the rim edge. 

I've certainly not experienced it until I got alloy wheels.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »

not a jeep but i had an alloy that the tyre went down v v slowly and it turnd out i had a crack in the alloy
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »

alloys oxidise if in contact with water, this pushes the rim of the tyre away from the rim so letting air out

you need to strip off the tyre, give the rim on the wheel a damn good wire brushing. it will be then OK till next time

Steels all the way for me  :greggmo:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

wildrover

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »

I suspected that might be a possible cause...I will get the tyre off and give it a good clean up...I wonder if there is anything i can paint it with to help it stay airtight...?

Do you think it would run too hot if i had an innertube put in it...?

I am taking the old oil burner to Moscow in march , so could do without too many wheel changes on the Russian roads...

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »

an inner tube is a common cheat possibly not  legal but thats what often happens

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

wildrover

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:30:08 AM »

Over this part of the world the Policja don,t bother too much about minor things like illegal tyres , they are more concerned with trying to reduce the death toll caused by drunken and crazy driving....

But would a tyre with a tube in be liable to overheat on a laden Jeep on the cart track of a motorway that goes from the Latvian border to Moscow...??   The road is actually called the M1 , but the name is the only similarity with the UK M1...

Stuff it....i am gonna look for some steel wheels...

brian reid

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:08:14 AM »

get tyre weld foam,inject this into the tyres,one can of holts tyres weld will do two tyres,get it from asda,this will cure the problem and seal the tyre rims,common problem on alloys,injecting the foam does the trick,all my tyres gave me leaking problems,after this treatment never had to look at them again for ages...

regards brian

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:45 AM »

a lot of tyre fitters have a latex paint they will paint onto the rim to cure the problem and it will be sorted in a couple of mins

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »

a lot of tyre fitters have a latex paint they will paint onto the rim to cure the problem and it will be sorted in a couple of mins

Yup. Take the tyre off, clean the sealing areas on the tyre bead and rim and coat with rim sealent before refitting.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »

ultra seal

http://www.ultraseal.com/index.html

ive used it on my bikes and never had a puncture (that i knew of)
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

wildrover

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »

I pulled the tyre off and gave the wheel a good wire brushing and sanding , and so far its holding pressure well....

At some point i will put some other wheels on it and have all these alloy wheels cleaned and painted...
Pages: [1]   Go Up