Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tie rod nut--- sos,sos,sos,sos,sos,cq de,sos,cq de cherokee HELP!!,  (Read 627 times)

brian reid

can any one please can anyone shed some light on the nut size for a drivers side tie rod end to the hup,ours has seen better days,local garage said put a nylon lock type on and do away with the castle nut,but they could not supply,so what size am i looking for and where in the uk can i get one,think i was told it was maybe a 7/16 but not sure if it will be unf or unc,would halfords stock these,the new tie rod end i fitted did not come with a new nut,so were are stuck as old nut is goosed.

help/advise needed asap

regards brian

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: tie rod nut--- sos,sos,sos,sos,sos,cq de,sos,cq de cherokee HELP!!,
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »

Just looked in the workshop and I've got the nuts on the tie rods of the YJ .................. no longer needed.................
I've also got a plastic zip lock with 4 new ones.............. don't remember buying them :jpshakehead:

Can mail you a new one or more if ya like.............I'm sure all ZJ XJ YJ and TJ steering assemblies use the same nuts............

PM me if this is of use.............. (they are the castellated ones for use with split pins as OE.)

brian reid

Re: tie rod nut--- sos,sos,sos,sos,sos,cq de,sos,cq de cherokee HELP!!,
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »

thanks for your help....but on closer inspection i see whats went wrong,when taking the tie rod out of the hub knuckle i gave it a light tab with a lights hammer,errr my fork was sitting there as well,why dint i use it,so it seems i flattend the top of the tie rof by a few ml,enough for the thread not to catch,tried all sort to make it go but its goosed,so ordered another one,it was only 2 weeks old as well,metal must be pretty soft,like i said it was only light tap,,,lesson learned,,,get up off yer arse and get the right tool.

regards brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up