Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Jeep,but an Auto box problem  (Read 2258 times)

Tank

Not Jeep,but an Auto box problem
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:30:05 PM »

Its a 1.8 2007 Astra Auto,and when you put it into reverse theres a loud clunk.Doesnt do it when putting in drive or any other gear even from R. I have had a couple of suggestions from a Mounting,to needing a gearbox rebuild and thought i would throw it open to a few more of you mechanically minded folks out there for a kick around

Nosebolt

Re: Not Jeep,but an Auto box problem
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »

sounds like its taking up some backlash, could be in box or diff, diff is easiest to check so would be my first place to look

Tank

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:50:52 PM »

Where would the diff be,on the gearbox?? Its front wheel drive so no back axle

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »

torque converter bolts loose.

Nosebolt

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

Where would the diff be,on the gearbox?? Its front wheel drive so no back axle

if its transverse engine then no diff (unless its 4wd)

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »

No diff? Course it has, It's in the gearbox casing. You wouldn't be able to steer without it

Tank

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »

Thanks guys.So looking like the likely scenario is an expensive gearbox out job as its not something i can do myself

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »

the diff is where the drive shafts go into the big lump of metal.

if you have play in the diff then the clunk would be heard as you put the car in drive. sounds like it might be a torque convertor to gears issue. have yo looked at the oil level and colour. it should be a typical bright red, what you might be able to do is change the oil and filter but be aware that there might be a specific way to fill the box back up. this might be a cheaper option than taking the box off and stripping it out.

2007 hmmm might be some fancy gadets involved
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Nosebolt

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »

No diff? Course it has, It's in the gearbox casing. You wouldn't be able to steer without it

yea ok, should have said no crown and pinion,  :banghead:

eastryjeep

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »

Gearbox to engine bolts all loose? (I know it sounds wierd but I have seen it), or failed bearing on reverse layshaft.
So:
Take the car to the dealer and ask for a diagnosis and quotation, BUT make sure they understand they are not to do any remedial work without your consent.
Put the car on axle stands, prevent it from starting (eg HT leads in pocket), then get a bunch of mates to select different gear positions, hold one wheel and rotate the other either way while you listen for ominous noises underneath with a long screwdriver held to your ear (handle to your lughole), you should be able to isolate the area pretty accurately like this. If the noise is at the left hand end of the box looking up and forward I'd suspect the lay shaft bearing and see if I couldnt access it by removing the gearbox end cover, I mean, it's buggered now anyway, so why not try to fix it yourself!
Or
If all else fails, drive the LHS of the car onto a TALL kerb, wriggle underneath and with the car firmly chocked in place and someone standing on the brakes, get the driver to cycle through gears 1, 2, D, N, P and back while you listen and look for anything amis.

The reason for the tall kerb being if the car does move you'll be nice and safe lying in the gutter!
(This is of course NOT a recommended proceedure and is done entirely at your own risk)

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »

f the gearbox is knackered, you then get 2 mates with mechanical knowledge to go and hire a similar astra from a hire company  and then swap the gearboxes then call in stranded and get your days hire costs back........... ok not really but we did do that once........

Tank

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »

Thats Despicable..........but what a brilliant idea lol :icon_winkle: :icon_winkle: :icon_winkle: :icon_winkle:

Nosebolt

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »

had a friend many yrs ago whose ferrari had the same size tyres as a Sri or something,  :icon_twisted: he even managed to get a regular customer loyalty card :hysterical:

Tank

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »

If all else fails, drive the LHS of the car onto a TALL kerb, wriggle underneath and with the car firmly chocked in place and someone standing on the brakes, get the driver to cycle through gears 1, 2, D, N, P and back while you listen and look for anything amis.

The reason for the tall kerb being if the car does move you'll be nice and safe lying in the gutter!
(This is of course NOT a recommended proceedure and is done entirely at your own risk)

There nowhere i know with 4 foot kerbs around where i live,to get my belly under  :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:

Great advice though

eastryjeep

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »

OR

Put on a pair of gloves, borrow the wifes number plates, drive it to Brum, take off false plates, leave keys in ignition, wait couple of days and then report it nicked.

As the chances are it will have been!

It will probably only cost you the excess and 10 years in the slammer, but on the bright side you won't have got dirty under the car and you'll meet lots and lots of blokes ALL called Bubba!!

On second thaughts mayby not eh? ......  It's naughty and illegal.

Tank

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »

:lol_hitting: :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

OK i am taking a stab in the dark here but I think the maf sensor is wrong ( well ok the wiring to it has been butchered), then engine has been replaced  and they have left a dodgy engine mount on the front, oh and the  tanny fluid needs changing and the power steering doesn't need topping up with water.......

what do I win?

A cuppa tea?

Tank

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »

Damn youre good,thats gets you a supersized mug of tea
Pages: [1]   Go Up