Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immobiliser Problem is Driving Me Crazy - Please Help  (Read 1100 times)

andy1969

Immobiliser Problem is Driving Me Crazy - Please Help
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1998 (S Reg) Wrangler Sahara (possibly a '97 model) which is not running due to an immobiliser problem. The Jeep has always run perfectly until the clutch went and I took it to a local garage to have it replaced. The garage disconnected the battery to fit the clutch and when it was hooked up again the Jeep was immobilised. It has now been out of action for months as no one seems to be able to fix the problem.

An electrician has tried to fix it but has failed and the whole thing has been a total headache. Does anyone know a way around this problem? Can the immobiliser be by-passed? I have read a few posts from people with similar problems which suggest ordering a PCM from America - is this the solution?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as all I want is the vehicle to be working again. I should also say that I have no technical knowledge whatsoever.

Cheers

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Re: Immobiliser Problem is Driving Me Crazy - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »

You could try a PCM, but first you need to know what year it is. A 97 on an S plate is possible but not
very likely. Go look up your VIN and find the tenth character. If it's a V, then it's a 97, if it's a W, then
it's a 98 and an X is a 99. The model year is uber important when ordering parts - especially a PCM.

BTW, I'm not advising you to get a PCM. The immobiler issue is a right pain in the ass, and a new PCM
may well not fix it. You could ask if anyone has one you can borrow instead.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »

Make the garage find the solution...when my Tj clutch went immoby was ok

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »

your pcm has lost its vin, your local jeep dealer will re-code it for you

they charged me 1/2 hours labour, just gotta drag it there
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »

:iagree:
"Not all those who wander are lost"

andy1969

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »

Thanks for the replys.

The tenth character of the VIN is a W - so '98 model.

The thing is that the Jeep has been with an auto electrician for months and he hasn't been able to get it running. He has been in contact with Jeep, tried re-setting the immobiliser etc but still nothing. I just can't believe that it's as simple as taking it to a dealer and getting it re-programmed otherwise this electrician would have done it - especially with all the aggro I have given him having the vehicle for so long.

Cheers

Andy

Tank

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:49:57 PM »

Sometimes it can be easy to overlook the obvious,and maybe the auto electrician was tyring to make money or didnt want to admit he didnt know????

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »

If it's a '98 onwards model It has SKIS (Senrty Key Immobiliser System) which is a passive chip in Key job. If it has gone down, the engine should still crank but will not run. If it doesn't crank, look elsewhere. Do you have more than one ignition key? have you tried a spare? If the SKIS has gone down it could be a bad key, the SKIS module, The Powertrain Control Module, a communication fault between any of the above, or a VIN mismatch,. Take it to Jeep, they have the gear to diagnose it properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up