Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gearbox advice please  (Read 590 times)

Invicta

Gearbox advice please
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

Having got my 1975 Mitsubishi J26 running well last year (the main problem was incorrect timming) this years task is to get the gearbox sorted out.

The engine and transmission are all original Mitsubishi. ASTRON, 2.4, 4 cylinder 4G53 with 4 speed KM141, Hi Lo transfer and a Warn Overdrive.
It is getting difficult to change down into 2nd.
I assume this could be the linkage (it's a column change), selector forks, synchromesh and/or worn cogs.

My main problem is that the KM141 box was made for the J20 series and I can't find out whether the internals are common to any other boxes. The J20s were only made for the Japanese hom market primarily the Japanese Home Defense Force under license to and based on the Jeep CJ3/5B.

So I am looking to find someone who can take apart and if necessary reengineer the gearbox or swap it out for another suitable unit (which wouldn't have to be Mitsubishi). The J26 is a SWB Jeep so again I am assuming that changing the box wouldn't be impossible although an adapter plate might be required to mate a new box up with the engine?

I would appreciate peoples advice on this to get a better understanding of the process and some idea of cost.
Many thanks,
Bern
Pages: [1]   Go Up