Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seatbelts  (Read 636 times)

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
Seatbelts
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »

Anyone know if there are any regs on how seatbelts should be mounted. Do they need to be bolted directly to the body/chassis or can you mount them to the seat if it's man enough to take them?
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Re: Seatbelts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

It will all depend on what your MOT requirements are, but not with standing that seatbelt mounting all comes down to the overall strength of the mounting point usually measured in kN of force. (i.e. the amount of force able to be applied to the mount before breakage) I would refer to the MSA or FIA rule books to see what the requirements are in a race vehicle as these are usually very good and beyond the needs of most. I know when we were racing back in NZ the seatbelt anchors had to be either the factory ones or using approved eyebolts or Grade 8 bolts (certain size, M12 comes to mind) through the chassis/body with a large 3mm steel washer on the reverse side, if I remember correctly something in the region of 100mm2.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »

as long as the metal is substantial and rust free then there shouldn't be a problem. the fixing bolts should be tight and secure with no movement. normally a reinforcement plate with a nut welded to it is the norm. seat belt bolts are normally shouldered bolt with a 9/16UNF thread.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »

Sounds like they should be fine then.

I fitted the rear seat into Dogface at the weekend using 3mm FIA bucket seat type mounts bolted through the floor into the chassis cross member at the rear and using large spreader washers at the front.

The seat belts are bolted to the FIA mounts at the sides of the seat through existing holes which were just enlarged to take the mounting bolts.  Where the clips come up through the centre of the seat I have attached the webbing to the rear rail of the seat frame under the back of the cushion.  The rail is approximately 20mm dia. tube and pretty substantial stuff so I'm reasonably happy they're up to the job.

Can't do pictures as the truck is in Shrewsbury and I'm in Grantham.  :icon_rolleyes:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up