Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kumho  (Read 1075 times)

merlin22red

Kumho
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:06:04 AM »

Are Kumho tyres any good is that a daft question, I have had some Marshals fitted for 18 months they have been the worst tyre I have had,
I was given what I think is, a good price for some Kumho KL 78s, but then find they are part of the marshals set up or visa versa
 or are they similar to bridge stone and Lassa who are associated but make their own brands

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
Re: Kumho
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »

It has been mentioned that they do not perform as well as BFG's on side slops on identical LR disco's but I have no personal knowledge
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »

bfg is trendy tat  but had a lot kumho and rate them well  i mostly had them in 33 and 35 mud flavor very pleased all round i liked general grabber muds but the side wall was thin

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

WillCJ

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: '83CJ7 V8, 2012 JKU 2.8CRD, '98CJ7/M38
  • Year: '83
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »

Khumo has been my tyre of choice over BFG, but , being a Yorkshire man, price may have helped there!
The ones I have had where the early BFG copy so no difference in pattern, nice flexible tyre, never had sidewall issues. Later BFG have better edge/side lug cut may be some advantage there.
 Kl 78,s never look like a deep tread to me, but thats just an opinion/observation.
Realy useful link here for comparisons;  http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/index.html
If you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough!

merlin22red

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »

Khumo has been my tyre of choice over BFG, but , being a Yorkshire man, price may have helped there!
The ones I have had where the early BFG copy so no difference in pattern, nice flexible tyre, never had sidewall issues. Later BFG have better edge/side lug cut may be some advantage there.
 Kl 78,s never look like a deep tread to me, but thats just an opinion/observation.
Realy useful link here for comparisons;  http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/index.html

Hi will I know what you mean about Yorkshire men, I am originally from Barnsley,got dragged into Lincolnshire Kicking and screaming  :icon_biggrin:
I haven't actually seen the tyres yet the dealer has to order them in, but now I am getting a little dubious about them, guess i can always tell him to stick em if they don't look any good,In the mean time maybe a trip over to simmonites in Bradford maybe an idea

cliff

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:45 AM »

Replaced Pirelli Scorpions with Kumho AT78 Road Venture A/T.  Quieter, more stability, Jeep felt much better for wearing them.  Never got round to trying them off road though.   :011:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »

Kumho tires are pretty good for most applications. Some years ago I managed a 4wd Hire fleet of some 240 Nissan and Toyota vehicles [Landcruisers and Patrols] and they were fitted with either Bridgestone Duelers or Kumho A/T tires. Given that these vehicles had the guts thrashed out of them all over the country [Australia] in all sorts of conditions...it's not always hot there, we do get snow too!..they performed really well and the mileage return, per set was outstanding. From memory, 45,000 miles was fairly average on each vehicle. A typical German couple would hire a vehicle and drive it pretty much all around Australia as fast as they could in order to see everything they could...a typical rental would be 45 days and the typical mileage covered would be 15,000 miles in all conditions you could imagine. I can't recall ever having a complaint about these tires from a customer and as a fleet manager, I can't ever making one.

Here in Bulgaria, I run BFG All terrain T/A on my KJ and Michelin Alpina [summer] or Yokohama A/T [winter] on my big Patrol, but would prefer the Kumho brand[not available here]

daved

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

I had great problems with a set of Kumhos on my old terrano. In a nutshell they were virtually impossible to balance up. swapped them for a set of Goodyears and all problems solved!!!!!

I ended up with the kumhos using hgv powder balancing. Never again.

Green Jeep

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »

Have seen these fail big time on side slopes where just about every other tyre just drove straight ahead...

... Discovery STT's excellent, Maxxis mudders use BF pattern and are also very good.

Hope this helps, Maf
Pages: [1]   Go Up