Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HID Kit for Jeep Cherokee XJ.  (Read 5409 times)

CeeJay

HID Kit for Jeep Cherokee XJ.
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

Hi All

I just thought I'd place this post up for anyone who's thinking about fitting a HID kit to their Jeep Cherokee XJ. 

After tolerating my Jeeps terrible lights for the past year I decided to do something about it and replaced the old light units for brand new ones and fitting an HID Kit.

I've seen quite a few advertised but I'd been warned that many of these kits don't always work well with standard lenses - you can end up with a splurge of light rather than a crisp focused beam.  Well with uncommon luck I managed to buy a kit that has worked really well, the link to which I've added below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-93-01-CAR-HID-HEADLIGHT-CONVERSION-KIT-H4-/250759680819?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a62711333#ht_2111wt_1199

I'll point out that I am no way connected to this company - I just want to pass on some information that might be of help to other forum users.

Regards
Craig.

scrw

Re: HID Kit for Jeep Cherokee XJ.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »

Yep, and an MOT failure & not road legal

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:17:41 PM »

look on the gojeep website for the headlamp wiring loom upgrade modification. this will then run the low beam and high beam of relays rather than through the main light switch, which in current for saps the current resulting in dim headlights.
 with the lights running through relays the emmitted light is visibly brighter on std 50/55w bulbs. if you use fused relays then the fuses can be swapped to accomodate spot lights and more powerful bulbs at a later date.

i have used 100/160w bulbs but these tend to crack the lenses in winter with the hot cold shock. now running sub 100w xenon bulbs and still have a beam pattern for the mot.

cost is only the wires and fused relays, so around £30 tops depending on your sources plus with a modicome of common sense it can be done without the use of a garage
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »

I did the above but bought a pre-wired kit made by ARB because I'm lazy. Rated to 100w bulbs but I run standard 55/60w and they are much better - almost like a proper car  :icon_eek:

CeeJay

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »

Yep, and an MOT failure & not road legal

Yes you're correct that they're not legal and that they should fail the MOT but I know a lot of people using them without comment from the police, and all have passed the MOT.

When it comes right down to it I'd rather have good lighting and break a trivial law than cause an accident because poor lighting caused me to fail to see an obstacle.

Regards
C.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:09:37 PM »

They aren't an MoT failure at the moment. There are proposed changes for 2012 though.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »

They aren't an MoT failure at the moment. There are proposed changes for 2012 though.

are they outlawing matt black paint? *fingers crossed* :hysterical:

scrw

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs."

from http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html Must admit I thought it had already been added to the mot test

&

"These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/technicalpenpicture3-lighting.pdf

so don't waste your money as they will soon be a test fail, & if plod is feeling picky they will do you under RTA 1988 s65

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »

Riddled with loopholes though.....

The HID conversion itself isn't outlawed, it's the provision of automatic self levelling and washers that's at issue......

"in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems."

However......

"Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose."

And.....

"It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system."

Furtermore....

"Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued."

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »

cool, another mot fight  :popcorn:

and Panic, no-one can outlaw cool  :greggmo:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »

and Panic, no-one can outlaw cool  :greggmo:
And they can't outlaw uncool, trouble is those that think they are, are seldom cool,just  following the flock.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »

in case you have forgotten dood, we have met in the flesh

and i rest my case  :003:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

CeeJay

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »

Hi All

I just thought I'd update this post.  My Jeep went it for its MOT a few days ago which it passed- the HID kit was never mentioned.

Regards
C.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »

That's 'cause the regs don't change 'till January.

CeeJay

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

Well I'll post up in a years time and let you know how I get on then!

:greggmo:

C.

gordy

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »

There's a few other items that need to be tested for the MOT in the pipeline, eg the dash warning lights must work such as the e-brake/handbrake, the battery must be secured properly.   :wsmile:

YT

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

Insecure/badly secured battery has been checked, and been an MOT fail in N.I. for years.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »

thought an insecure battery was a reason for failure already.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »

Nope

CeeJay

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »

Well I'll post up in a years time and let you know how I get on then!

C.

Hi All

As promised here's my update 1 year on...

My XJ went for its MOT a few days ago and it sailed through without any mention of the HID kit - and without a single advisory!

To be honest I think most MOT stations are more concerned about the road-worthness of the cars they test, rather than what some euro idiot says about headlights.

As for the lack of advisories, I'll put that down to the huge amount of love and cash I've spent on her over the years!

Regards
C.

Pages: [1]   Go Up