Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Cherokee 2002 WJ front right wheel bearing  (Read 3664 times)

Fatcharlie

Grand Cherokee 2002 WJ front right wheel bearing
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »

Hello all,

Sorry for not searching this - I'm on a pre-paid 3G connection in Mallorca. Can't afford to search!

I need advice, I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee 60th Annieversary edition - WJ body.

The fron right wheel bearing is making an audible hum or whine. It gets higher and louder the faster I go.

I discovered the CV joint boot had a big hole! The noise started when I was 200km from the ferrry on the way down here to Mallorca. I pressed on because I didn't want to miss the boat.

Since being here I've cured the boot problem and re-packed with grease.

The noise doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. Since I did that - but these things are subjective and I know I could be kidding myself!

So:

1) I need to go back to the UK at theend of this week - it's about 1200km (800 miles). Opinions on whether or not it's safe to drive that distance?

2) The noise is not very loud and seems not to have gotten worse. How likely is the bearing to fail altogether and what would happen if it did - could it seize and lock the wheel/destroy the diff?

3) I se the changing of the hub/bearing assy is not too difficult - but I'm not a great mechanic and I'm petrified of f*cking it up and ending up in even deepr poo poos.

4) i'd prefer to get back to the UK - even if at 50mph - and do the bearing there.

Thoughts everyone?

Lastly - anyone got  4X4 contact on Mallorca who could possibly help with advice/support/woprkshop space etc?

Thanks,

Roger.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: Grand Cherokee 2002 WJ front right wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »

Hi Roger,

I just had the front off side malarky in bits on my 2002 WJ a week ago.

CV joint boot had a small hole in and CV was cracking only when steering hard over. It was ok in a straight line however been driving with an egg up me backside for two weeks for I thought the thing was going to explode any minute. When I did get it off the half shaft however it looked and felt like it was falling to bits in my hand despite still being full with grease.

As for the wheel bearing : they are a sealed unit so not servicable.  It's either good or not and nothing you can do about it apart from changing it.

In my opinion a disintegrating CV would do more damage then the wheel bearing itself.  I guess a bearing would slowly grind itself to bits up to a point where driving further is not possible but not life endangering.

As for spannering (and you're taking to the ex chairman of the Birty mechanically inept club......Bulldog is now in the hot seat  :003:). With the right tools you can whip the hub off in 30 minutes.  The only bastards are the three 12 point bolts at the back holding the hub on. (I destroyed 2 ringspanners there.).

A beefy 12 point socket set is your friend here + a decent extending bar.  Also a 36mm socket for your hub nut which you have to torque up until you can give no more + a bit to fit the cotterpin.

Some great info on US Jeepforum + 2 educational vids on youtube. (I'll have a look for the links).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/how-replace-axle-shaft-wheel-hub-bearing-assembly-w-pics-377208/

Cheers & good luck.

ps. links are there now so you're good to go  :die:

Edit 2 : just reread your OP...... how did you change the CV boot without going through the above process anyway ?? :017:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »

I strongly object  :eusa_snooty:

its the 'WTF is a spanner' club :003:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »

Where can I buy some of these 13 point sockets?

Fatcharlie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »

Hi Dutch. Yes you're right in your PS. To save space I condensed the story. A friend of mine changed tha boot with me a couple if months beforehand. But unknown to me it slipped off again, dumped all the grease and let um eater and dirt. Hence the whining nearing. Cv joint seems ok. Sorry for confusion. So, yes, the hub assy has been off recently but not by my hand, and I'm on Mallorca so any repair has to be done at the kerbside.

My main concern is snapping one if the 13mm bolts this getting me stuck here with no workshop and support.

Hence the main thrust of my post - what do people think about me driving 800 mikes on a whining bearing?

Thanks fir all the advice, _I_ knew what you meant by a 13 point socket ;-)

kwak1261

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »

Hi
ill add my 2 pence worth. it might help.
ive just done a full front axle rebuild on my Sahara, slightly different but not much.
the hubs are the same and come complete with bearings, i might be wrong but there didnt seem to be any way in getting grease into the bearings.
if they are rumbling then it cant be long before they give up completely
i have located a few jeep dearlers in Barcelona. if you can get there i  would suggest getting the hub replaced.
i might be cheaper than a roadside recovery
DREAM MOTORS
CALLE MALLORCA, 169
08036 BARCELONA
Tel: 934 518 555
1.2 km Cómo llegar

TURIAUTO
AVDA. DEL CARRILET, 191
08907 L' HOSPITALET DE LLOBREGAT BARCELONA

Tel: 933 381 516

my contact    kwak1261@gmail.com

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »

Where can I buy some of these 13 point sockets?

hehe ..... 12 point  :tool:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Fatcharlie

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up