Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJ steering wobble  (Read 1001 times)

Arno

TJ steering wobble
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »

Ok, after reading re the XJ with a steering wobble topic, thought it might be wise to post a TJ topic

I lifted my Jeep recently (2.5") and got 31" MTs.. 

Went out this weekend, first time with the new setup, and found on the motorway I have a lot of steering wobble, to the point that it seems like the Jeep is wondering..  This occur especially when I hit uneven surfaces on the road.. 

Is it just a case of just upgrading my steering stabiliser/damper or is there any other suggestions I can have a look at first? 

Any thoughts / suggestions

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
Re: TJ steering wobble
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »

panhard rod bush axle end

Arno

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »

Hmm, why did it then happened so sudden and not getting worst over a period of time?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:14:14 PM »

Tracking, castor. Will need longer lower control arm or adjusting of current ones.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk HD

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »

:iagree: Deffo...... Caster and camber is your prob. :icon_twisted:

dtooth

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »

Yes to caster angles , aswell as worn steering joints and bushes can cause the problem do a search for "death wobble" . Lengthening the lower control arms will change the caster angle . Also get your tracking checked .

bonza

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:22 AM »

if you start to get a wobble after hitting a bump the most common problem is the track bar (panhard) where it connects to the diff housing if it isnt the bushing. the hole in the bracket where it connects often ovals out allowing movement in there and to fix you need to fit a larger bolt and maybe ream out the hole.

crawl underneath and get someone to operate the steering and check for looseness and you may see the track bar movewhere it is bolted to the diff if its the cause. meanwhile check for looseness in the tie rod ends, draglink ends and the track bar ball joint end

if you still have the stock non adjustable control arms, then you cant adjust the castor angle. you should not need adjustable arms for 2.5" of lift anyway so I would do the above checks before fitting adjustable arms

also check toe in. I run mine without any toe in at all and have heard of some running with about 1/8 to 1/4" toe out in order to eliminate wobble being felt in the steering

Pages: [1]   Go Up