Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ 4.7 remove front pipes and precats and sump .... But How?  (Read 922 times)

Aislingean

WJ 4.7 remove front pipes and precats and sump .... But How?
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Hi all!
My 2000 wj v8 is going back on the road but needs some TLC rather urgently
I need to remove the front exhaust Y pipes with cats and 4 oxy sensors in order to work on the rusty sump.
Do I have to remove the starter and how do you get at the nuts where they attach to the manifold?
What tools are required?
[A normal universal joint on a long extension struggles to get past all the obstructions]
There is a heavy casting [bracket?] between engine and gearbox which I see will have to be removed to get at sump bolts but does anything need support?
The metal ATF? lines seem to be in the way of sump removal after y pipes are out of the way.
I have read various accounts of sump removal but apart from  ... jack the body to drop the axle, separate the gasket from the pan and drop the pick up pipe all the accounts seem to be " just do it"
Can anyone give me a step by step how to?

The other point I need to address is regarding the 2001 TSB on transfer box 'Jiggle Cap' vent pipe etc.
I have some leakage from the rubber bung area on top of the casing extension and can feel the vent pipe but does anyone know exactly the procedure for modifying what parts are changed and again any special tools?
I do not have access to hoist or pit at present so will be working with ramps jacks and stands and need to be fully prepared so I await info from all the experienced people out there.
Cheers
Dave

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: WJ 4.7 remove front pipes and precats and sump .... But How?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »

I don't know WJ layouts but from what you describe it sounds like one of those jobs that involves stripping loads of other components out of the way or trying to undo bolts with multiple extension pieces and universal joints. I tend to go for removing everything if I don't get any joy after 10 mins with the funky extension pieces.

Aislingean

Re: WJ 4.7 remove front pipes and precats and sump .... But How?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »

Having spent  a long time today inspecting I can safely say removing the V8 sump is the worst job on any vehicle I have ever worked on!     :97:
There is no working space / room for tools and I can see nothing but problems.
My local friendly garage proprietor who is well respected in these parts took one look and refused to estimate!
He said "That 'll be a time and line job I'm afraid!"
I said "I am just afraid!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up