Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMC 360 oil pressure fluctuating  (Read 3605 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
AMC 360 oil pressure fluctuating
« on: November 02, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »

Guys, I need some advice, a couple if weekends ago I was out wheeling and hit a tree stump which put a sizable dent in the oil pan. I drained the oil and using a slide hammer and a welded nut I tried to remove most of the dent. I then filled up with my normal 20w50 and some stop smoke additive (burns a little oil) and I noticed that the oil pressure would be normal at idle but when you accelerated the pressure would drop off and when the gas pedal was released the oil pressure returned to normal. My thought was the dent had damaged the intake or the dent maybe was still blocking the pickup. I thus removed the oil pan, and saw no damage to the intake pipe work and the strainer looked perfect. So I repaired the dent and reinstalled the oil pan. I've still got the same issue. Can anybody shed any light on a possible cause for this. Was thinking a oil filter issue or oil pressure release valve or cracked intake pipe allowing air to be drawn in?

Note my oil pressure would normally be:

60 PSI cold

40 PSI hot normal running rpm

20 psi idle

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: AMC 360 oil pressure fluctuating
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 06:56:43 PM »

initial thought is that you may have flattened the pickup pipe if thats in the same location as the dent
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up