Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No heating.....a;most  (Read 6995 times)

GordonRumsay

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 2003 2.8 CRD
  • Year: 2003
No heating.....a;most
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »

Hi there

I'm new to the site and having purchased my first Jeep I could use some advice. I live in the UK and have just acquired a 2003 Cherokee 2.8 CRD. I had very little heat coming out of the vents and initially air was only going to screen. The fan speed was controllable and I could hear the blend doors moving but regardless of position air would only go to screen and while it's not cold air it's not as hot as it should be. Temperature seems to decrease as fan speed increases.

I was having a look for a loose vac connection and was generally messing about with the controls and now I have air to screen and front vents but still nothing to floor. Also the fan suddenly no longer operates on 1 or 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: No heating.....a;most
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »

Morning mate,

You're not into cooking or anything - or used to using a lot of profanities ?  :003:

If you have a KJ, which by the looks of it you have, a good google can help - in the US there were marketed as a Jeep Liberty.

If all else fails our resident Ozzie from Bulgaria can probably help.  Reach out to bgazz.  He had one at the same time as us.

My missus had one many moons ago - a 2.5 CRD - Re fan speed your resistor at the back of the knob may need replacing.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »

Thanks for the mention Dutch...I'll see if I can help our chap.

Getting back to the OP (who may or not be a cook), let's start with the simple stuff first (free). Make sure you have the code for your radio written down, then open your drivers door and leave it open. Next step is to disconnect the battery and go and make yourself a cup of tea and chill out for 30 minutes or so. Then reconnect the battery, start the motor and let it idle while you go through all the airflow settings and see if you get the flow going where it should. If you have the overhead display thingy, you may notice that all the previous settings might need to be entered again, but that's just a normal thing, PITA, but normal. If everything is working the way it should (airflow wise), take her for a decent drive (at least 10 miles at this time of the year) and pay particular attention to the temp gauge which should sit at, or around 90 (needle vertical) and the air temp from the vents.

Still crappy?  Now comes the bit which might cost a few bob.

If the temp gauge needle is much less than 90...mine was reading about 25...the thermostat and its housing needs replacing. If this is the case, your fuel bill will bring a huge smile to your face.

However, if all of the above stuff I've written makes any difference, the next step is to replace the little fan pack resistor that Dutch mentioned...not very expensive, easily sourced and fitted and readily available on Ebay, or a supplier of your choice.
If you have to resort to the resistor pack, just remember the battery steps I wrote above...never do any electrical stuff on a Jeep with the battery connected. Then you'll understand about the radio code bit.

Let us all know how you got on...you have an audience now.  :icon_winkle:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:53:24 PM »

I'm guessing he got it sorted, with or without any suggestions from us....

.....I hope so.....

...it's going to be somewhat cold this winter.

:icon_winkle:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »

One hit warriors ...... the bane of any forum .... and not even a thank-you  :003:

Hooroo Skippy  :023:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200
Pages: [1]   Go Up