Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ Stock Shocks  (Read 7697 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Re: XJ Stock Shocks
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »

Thanks!

I reported it to RockAuto, who have without question sent me a free replacement. I received the wrong one yesterday, the replacement is due to arrive tomorrow morning.
Very impressed with their service as always  :icon_super:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2020, 06:20:32 PM »

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

That Oily Rag

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ 2.5TD
  • Year: 99
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »

Thanks!

I reported it to RockAuto, who have without question sent me a free replacement. I received the wrong one yesterday, the replacement is due to arrive tomorrow morning.
Very impressed with their service as always  :icon_super:

Excellent, good to know RockAuto's customer service is good.

Now it is a race to be the first to install them  :lol_hitting:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »

My replacement arrived one day later than planned, before 08:00 this morning! I've got them all replaced and all snapped bolts fixed, and I'm back on the road  8-) 

So far I'm very happy with the ride - seems very similar to the stock shocks. I do have a "thunk" from the rear end over bumps, but I think that may be my leaf spring bushings.

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »

Glad you got it sorted.

When you say the ride is similar to stock, I've never driven another XJ apart from mine and the ride is rock hard, like a driving a lowered car, I'm hoping it is not like that?  :017:

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »

Regarding the ride feeling...in my experience, they take a little while to settle in, but when they do, I'm sure you'll be well happy. I have a shortish "test" track (lane) very close by which is heavily rutted and very uneven and I used to drive up and down that a couple of times, at about a brisk walking pace...the suspension would be almost pushed to the limits of its travel a few times, hence the low speed, the ride afterwards was quite different...in a good way.

Go forth and enjoy.

Oh...and have a great Xmas break.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 08:57:18 AM »

Glad you got it sorted.

When you say the ride is similar to stock, I've never driven another XJ apart from mine and the ride is rock hard, like a driving a lowered car, I'm hoping it is not like that?  :017:

Sorry, I missed this before.

I don't really find mine to be rock hard. It's firm, but pretty comfortable. Not as good as our ZJ but not bad at all.

The front definitely rides better than the rear though. I'm no sure if my rear springs are wearing out or if there is some play in the bushings, but I definitely feel and hear some thumps from the rear over large bumps. I don't think it's anything to do with the new shocks though.

That Oily Rag

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 05:24:39 PM »

Glad you got it sorted.

Sorry, I missed this before.

I don't really find mine to be rock hard. It's firm, but pretty comfortable. Not as good as our ZJ but not bad at all.

The front definitely rides better than the rear though. I'm no sure if my rear springs are wearing out or if there is some play in the bushings, but I definitely feel and hear some thumps from the rear over large bumps. I don't think it's anything to do with the new shocks though.

Thanks for the feedback.

It will be interesting when I get some spare time to install the KYBs and we can compare! Right now it just seems like they are seized, every undulation in the road is smashed into the cabin. Fantastic on Dual carriageways where you can just relax on a long straight road with cruise control on, but on rough A roads, or around the town, it is no fun.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up