Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transponder key replacement  (Read 2664 times)

Richo

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee 2.5TD 1999 & CJ7 1978 & Ford GPW 1944.
  • Year: 1999
Transponder key replacement
« on: May 03, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »

Anybody out there who can advise me on which Transponder key model i need for a 1999 XJ TD, I have my two orignal keys one like new and one very worn.
I would like to buy a couple of new blank Transponder keys and have them recut using my good original key before it gets worn and then reprogramme them to the skim, i believe this can be done easily enough yourself!!
My issue is that i dont really know if i need a certain type, seems to be two models Y160 PT and 4D64 does it make any odds which one or did the UK or European models get a different setup to the American models.
Any info would be most appreciated.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: Transpinder ket replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »

The owner key programming is disabled on non-US vehicles, so it's not possible to program your own keys. You can either get cloned keys made up which match your current keys, or get somebody with DRBIII to program new keys to your Jeep.

Richo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 07:45:30 PM »

Hi Thanks for that info, i didn't realise you couldn't do it yourself on
UK spec vehicles, most threads about this issue i read on the web and were US based so i guess thats why.
So am i correct in saying i can buy any blank transponder keys and someone with the DRB equipment would be able to programme them for me.
The Transponder keys are not too expensive from the states compared to buying over here, which is why j was unsure what type to buy.
Cheers Ian

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »

With DRB up to eight keys can be programmed I think. Not sure which key you need for an XJ. AS mentioned you should be able to get cloned keys made, might be worth enquiring at a Timpsons or Keyways and seeing how much a cloned key would cost for comparison.

Richo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »

Thanks will ask the question next time i go near my local branch, although some of the people working in these places dont seem to have a clue unless its straight forward.
Cheers Ian

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »

when I had an extra key done for my WJ, the local locksmith had an expensive enough keycode scanner to be able to access the SKIM.
and I think it said it used the 4D64 chip, which he had one of, as I was having a flip key/fob done which didn't come with a chip.
Timsons said they could not do WJ keys too old!
Do XJ's need the 4 digit security pin to access the SKIM like WJ's do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up