Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Number 1 injector electrical connector  (Read 3326 times)

JonL

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Cherokee
  • Year: 1998
Number 1 injector electrical connector
« on: June 12, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »

Hi all
I've not been on here for a while but hope everyone is well.....

People may have read a previous post of mine about me be uncertain if my #1 injector was faulty http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=30156.0
In short the XJ (2.5TD) performs like it's in limp mode but there's no engine check light and it can get above 2500 rpm (given time!) but when I measure the resistance of the injector it's open circuit. So I was looking to change the injector all the same. A long time has past but and I now have a new one fitted BUT the electrical connector is different to the one that came out and consequently I can't connect the wires to the ECU.
So I'm running the currently without the wires connected - It still runs as it did before - lending weight to the initial thoughts of the old one being dud, but before I start hacking the old connector off and trying to graft it to the new injector..... thought I'd spend a few mins writing a post to see if I'm missing a trick here.

I will attempt to attach some photo's of the different connectors and also the part number of the injector I've fitted - it seems to work so I assume it's a suitable replacement, but perhaps it was from a later model that had different connectors...??

thanks Jon

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Number 1 injector electrical connector
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 08:51:40 PM »

The petrol XJs did change connector types as model years changed so it’s very possible. Are colours the same so you can interpret which goes to which? If so I’d be chopping, soldering, heatshribking and testing the effect of the new injector.

JonL

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:39:47 AM »

Thanks James
I'll take a closer look at colours today - from what I recall both the wires on the old injector were white and the new injector has sheathing right into the connector and so I can't tell what the individual colours are. I'm not sure if this would have any polarity anyway as it's just an induction coil (I think!) but the new injector connector does have each wire labelled as '1' and '2'

The  male spades on the new injector connector are wider than the female spades on the ECU connector side - what I was thinking of trying was to create two short 'link' wires - one for each spade using an insulated spade of the appropriate size at each end - and putting this in as a temporary connection to test. If this doesn't help the performance of the Jeep then I might as well fit the old injector back in again anyway  :icon_biggrin:

thanks again
Jon

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 09:05:10 AM »

Sounds like a good plan to me - let us know how it goes
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

JonL

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 02:56:29 PM »

Hi
Seems like everything is working better now. I've put in the link cables (as a workaround for the difference in connectors) and the Jeep performance has improved. I now has much better acceleration generally, but the most noticeable improvement is when accelerating up a hill - previously it would be painfully slow to build up any revs above 2000rpm whereas now it pulls from 2000 to  >3000rpm in next to no time now   :icon_biggrin:

cheers

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 11:33:32 AM »

Sounds like you definitely had an issue with the cabling - makes me think I have the same issue. Have you got any pics of how it is wired up now?
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

JonL

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

Hi
You could have something similar. A couple of quick things to try perhaps before you get too down and dirty with the injector is to firstly measure the resistance across the injector connector terminals - it should be somewhere between 90-100 ohms (give or take). Mine was open circuit so definitely very suspect.
Secondly leave the connector disconnected and go for a short drive..... if there aren't any new warning lights on and the jeep isn't any different to how it feels\drives currently then almost certainly a dud injector.
The photo below is just of the two link wires I made to allow me to join together the two dis-similar connectors.... literally two short lengths of wires with 2.8mm insulated spade connectors at each end (M-F) plugged into each connector.

That Oily Rag

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ 2.5TD
  • Year: 99
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »

Hi
Seems like everything is working better now. I've put in the link cables (as a workaround for the difference in connectors) and the Jeep performance has improved. I now has much better acceleration generally, but the most noticeable improvement is when accelerating up a hill - previously it would be painfully slow to build up any revs above 2000rpm whereas now it pulls from 2000 to  >3000rpm in next to no time now   :icon_biggrin:

cheers

Good you got it sorted, also thanks for sharing the information.

certainly a dud injector

For reference, where did you get the new Number 1 Injector if you don't mind me asking?  :017:
Pages: [1]   Go Up