Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG  (Read 4145 times)

mikeh

LPG
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »

Anyone done their own LPG install ?

I'm talking to a guy down south who will do a full DIY sequential kit for a 6 Cyl at around £650ish inc a toroidal tank in place of the spare wheel, still in discussion on the price ;) but what's the score are they easy enough to fit, how easy is it to get them certified ?

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Mike
 :D

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:12:24 PM »

7 and 5

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

mikeh

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:45:42 PM »

Quote from: "V8 Bubba"
7 and 5

:?: OK you've lost me Bubba

monkeybiz

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »

score out of ten to fit
1=easy nowt techy
2=easyish some tea required
3=fairly easy read instructions
4=hmmm nutsack scratch whilst reading manual
5=get someone else to read manual whilst you scratch nutsacks
6=phone a mate with a hammer
7=getting techy extra hammers required
8=big hammer and beer
9=more beer more hammers and 10 mates to scratch nutsacks
10=have a barbie, loadsa beer, loadsa mates, loadsa hammers and one sober pro lpg fitted you happen to invite along so he can fit it whilst every one else drinks beer eats burgers play with hammers and scratch nutsacks all day

NB:!!!women have no hammers or nutsacks to scratch so they prepare barbie food and supply beer at correct temperature!!!

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 07:39:53 AM »

Quote from: "monkeybiz"

NB:!!!women have no hammers or nutsacks to scratch so they cook barbie and supply beer at correct temperature!!!

Women? cooking on the Barbie? Have you lost your mind man?
They are most proficient at preparing all that fancy stuff that blokes can't recognise and don't eat but the Barbie is no place for a woman (or blokes that wear cardigans).

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »

I installed my LPG system. I bought all the parts through a certified LPG place and had them do the tune-up and give me certification.

It's not something I'd recommend for everyone. It requires a lot of patience, nothing is that hard but there is a lot to do. The electronics require you to be able to use a multimeter and solder well, fitting tanks etc is the usual pratice of rusted bolts, scraped knuckles and swearing. Routing the copper LPG feed line from the tank to the engine bay and fitting the filler were the must irritating jobs and can be enough to reduce a man to tears when combined with having scraped knuckles to the bone and cross-threaded your last compression fitting :shock:

The benefits are that I have an LPG system installed to my standards (higher than some garages) and I know how it all works if it ever goes wrong.It didn't really save a lot of money but running on LPG saves plenty. I've done 40k miles on it over 3 years without trouble greater than a disconnected wire (which was caused by my enthusiastic offroading!)

Mine's an OMVL Dream XX1N sequential multipoint system with underfloor tank and I'd recommend it. I'm not sure I'd recommend fitting LPG to anyone but it can be done.

mikeh

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

Cheers for that, I didn't think it would be too much of a problem to install as I'm pretty handy with most things. The guy selling the kit even supplies the software, instructions and interface leads to "home tune" so it all sounds good. I'm just a little weary of getting it certified afterwards or is it a case of say nothing and hope you don't blow up close to an airport !! 8)

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »

james how much it cost you?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »

Insurance companies will asked that it is certified. A lot of them will ask to see the certificate.

The parts cost me £1300 plus about £100 driving to the garage and having it tuned / certified.

Installed would have been about £2000. It seems a big saving but it took 3 very long and painful days to get it done and at some points I would have paid anything to have someone finish it. Saying that I'd probably still do it again because I like to do as much as possible on the Jeep myself.

Just to emphasis the first point, you NEED it certified if you are going to drive it on the road.

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »

cool good job

monkeybiz

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 09:11:57 PM »

Quote from: "Mik"

NB:!!!women have no hammers or nutsacks to scratch so they cook barbie and supply beer at correct temperature!!!

Women? cooking on the Barbie? Have you lost your mind man?
They are most proficient at preparing all that fancy stuff that blokes can't recognise and don't eat but the Barbie is no place for a woman (or blokes that wear cardigans).

edited.......... obviously ive not had enough cold beer. im off to re-educate the wife

Mik

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28:17 PM »

:lol:

mikeh

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »

Quote from: "JamesH"
Insurance companies will asked that it is certified. A lot of them will ask to see the certificate.

The parts cost me £1300 plus about £100 driving to the garage and having it tuned / certified.

Installed would have been about £2000. It seems a big saving but it took 3 very long and painful days to get it done and at some points I would have paid anything to have someone finish it. Saying that I'd probably still do it again because I like to do as much as possible on the Jeep myself.

Just to emphasis the first point, you NEED it certified if you are going to drive it on the road.

O.K. nearly there with pricing, front end kit is £500 and a replacement fuel tank option for the rear adds approx £400 so should get in under the grand ........ it just depends what bits I have to get although apparently this kit comes with everything needed. We'll see !

Worked it out with my mileage it'll cost me approx £3k per year in petrol so less than 12mth payback with LPG being approx half the cost, bit of a no brainer me thinks !

Mike  8)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »

What kit are you going for?

I'd get some spare compression fittings and a metre or two extra copper LPG pipe.

Where are you in the country? Let me know if you want any pointers or help fitting it.

keegantj

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »

I fitted a sequential system from Tinley Tech. Cost £999 including software to tune the system. I cocked up the install and blew the ECU. 2 weeks at the Stealer to fit a new one.£650.  :oops: Talked to supplier who put me right. An expensive mistake, but I would do it again. The conversion has been on for a year and has been no problem. I have saved £1200 so far so I will break even soon.
The TJ runs so well,I can't tell what fuel I am using. The only noticable difference is if the Jeep is in a high gear and at low revs and then I accelerate hard without changing gear, I get a misfire/hesitation. If you can forget trying to drive economically and drive like a Jeep should be driven, then you will be pleased with your investment.
P.S. I've just come back from central Scotland. They haven't heard of LPG up there!  
               Regards,
                         Tim.

mikeh

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 10:12:38 PM »

Quote from: "keegantj"
I fitted a sequential system from Tinley Tech. Cost £999 including software to tune the system. I cocked up the install and blew the ECU. 2 weeks at the Stealer to fit a new one.£650.  :wink:

mikeh

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »

Quote from: "JamesH"
What kit are you going for?

I'd get some spare compression fittings and a metre or two extra copper LPG pipe.

Where are you in the country? Let me know if you want any pointers or help fitting it.

Hi James, I'm in Sunny Shropshire, this is the front end kit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0166703526

RockingDad

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 07:48:50 PM »

score out of ten to fit
1=easy nowt techy
2=easyish some tea required
3=fairly easy read instructions
4=hmmm nutsack scratch whilst reading manual
5=get someone else to read manual whilst you scratch nutsacks
6=phone a mate with a hammer
7=getting techy extra hammers required
8=big hammer and beer
9=more beer more hammers and 10 mates to scratch nutsacks
10=have a barbie, loadsa beer, loadsa mates, loadsa hammers and one sober pro lpg fitted you happen to invite along so he can fit it whilst every one else drinks beer eats burgers play with hammers and scratch nutsacks all day

NB:!!!women have no hammers or nutsacks to scratch so they prepare barbie food and supply beer at correct temperature!!!

LMAO......you should submit this to Haynes and Chilton.....much more real world for difficulty ratings!

RockingDad

keegantj

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 08:08:24 AM »

Just when I thought I could forget about this!!  :applaudit:
Pages: [1]   Go Up