Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiator options  (Read 2922 times)

Delk

Radiator options
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »

This is another small project that turned into a big mess.

I noticed that my mechanical fan center bearing was falling apart to I changed back to an electric fan that I used to have on my Jeep. This morning there was a large clatter followed by steam. I was close to work so didn’t look until I got in but it appears on blade has a bent tip and this put a small hole in the radiator.

The Jeep has a Griffin aluminium radiator and I will look at repairing it. But I have never been overly happy with it to start with. It cools fine especially when I used to live in hot climates but the cooling fins are really close together. It gets clogged with mud really easily and is a PIA to clean out.

I see some cheap options on the Bay but they have plastic tanks like the OEM one. Are these any good or are there any other options? Just looking for now and I still need to get home.

It all started when I installed a new cam position sensor. At least it runs well now but I ended up with other issues.  It was really cold with the top off but it goes really well and could pull three digits without a problem. 

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: Radiator options
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

It would find a local rad place and get a custom one built. Brass with copper core and large grill.
that's what I did. works better than a mass produced  Aly one.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »

Got plastic res and alloy core job off eBay and it's been on for a year and no probs.

As I was LHD it cost £90 ......the RHD one was a wait job and £150 :jpshakehead:

I am guessing you are LHD?

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

I have a Champion Ali rad from the US in mine, has been great and no issues whatsoever with heating. Well made as well. I also have the Ford V6 twin fan setup as well

Delk

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »

My Jeep is a standard US model with left hand drive so that makes it a bit easier.

Even running a stroker in hot climates I didnt have a heating issue and only change the radiator because the tanks started leaking.

Its now sitting outside work with its own puddle.

Delk

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »

It looks like Bulldog drove my Jeep home.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

It would find a local rad place and get a custom one built. Brass with copper core and large grill.
that's what I did. works better than a mass produced  Aly one.

these are designed for road use, after a period of time and off road abuse the copper tube and fin goes brittle and splits. you have more chance of welding ice with a blow lamp than fixing. (tried to get a rad for a cherokee fixed and the radiator builds took it as a challenge which they failed after an hour of trying)

Ally rad is more robust and if designed well will keep the coolant cool. Stainless is better but will cost you a fortune to make. Had one but basically gave it away due to having no use.

The plastic end caps are pressed on with normal bend over tabs to secure into place
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »

Slight difference ........ you got home ........ under your own steam (excuse the pun)  :003:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 07:41:27 PM »

I have a Nissens rad in my TJ, plastic tank with ally core. I went with them as they are OEM for many brands so quality is good. I got mine from a local car spares place. There are LHD ones on ebay for £110.37.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-WRANGLER-Radiator-60993-4-ltr-08-1999-12-2001-/390477747330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5aea499482

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:04:23 PM »

rad tec mate :)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »

:wave-fingersmiely: Cheeky swine  :hysterical: :hysterical:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:
Pages: [1]   Go Up