Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On holiday, brakes on and smoking  (Read 3397 times)

gregwho

On holiday, brakes on and smoking
« on: April 04, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »

Evening all! I'm on holiday with the family in cornwall and my rear brakes are intermittently sticking on which ends up with loads of smoke and nasty burning smell  :011: Only changed rear pads a few days ago so assuming it's from then. Any suggestions what it could be and how I can fix? It's both sides. The only things I can think of are sticking pistons or the carriers. Could I have put anything back wrong or done anything that might cause it?! If pistons, is it new calipers? Could me pushing the pistons back in when I changed the pads have caused them to stick? Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received!

georgen

Re: On holiday, brakes on and smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »

did you check your seals were intact and not damaged, dislodged etc, could be build up on pistons or crap being pulled in when you pushed them back to put new pads in or sticky sliders, if you can I would remove pads and push your pistons out, not completely but to where they were with old pads and check seals, wd40 and work back and forth might get you over Hols, otherwise put into back street garage and ask them to remove and clean pistons up and refit, normally once you have calliper problems only a rebuild kit if you can get them or replacement is the long term fix. Hope you get sorted and doesn't spoil your Hols. 

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »

Just had the same on my wj, ended up swapping the calipers as the pistons/seals needed replacing. Worth checking the sliders are free though.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:34:48 PM »

Wd40  is not good for the seal, use brake fluid as a lubricant. If you want a garage to look at it try central garage at the back of tesco express (opp Bertie's nightclub). Central garage is no frills but straight an honest as they go
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

georgen

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:58:52 AM »

Wd40  is not good for the seal, use brake fluid as a lubricant. If you want a garage to look at it try central garage at the back of tesco express (opp Bertie's nightclub). Central garage is no frills but straight an honest as they go

I know its not ideal but I was thinking more as a emergency stop gap to get it going with the WD40 as it would be able to flush out without removing piston if it was crap inside dust seal being pulled in, as removing pistons is not really a job to do on holiday.

gregwho

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »

THANKS everyone for the replies. It turns out it's my pistons, and likely from where new pads have been put in the piston has returned to a bit it hasn't seen for a few years and some crap has got in there. On the side that was worse, the rubber boot has burnt away nicely  :icon_eek: pistons have been wd'd (only thing to hand!) and with some pumping out and pushing in seems to have free'd them up. At least should do for the rest of the weekend although eurocarparts is nearby and they've got both rear calipers in stock so might do them tomorrow. Everyone think pagid stuff from euros is ok or should I look somewhere else?

On a side note can you get drilled and vented rear discs? Mine are ok for now but some point in the future they will need to be swapped and thought it might be a good idea to put something better on

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »

I got pagid refurbed ones, seem okay. Not worth the expense of upgrading rears IMHO

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »

Why the hell would you want drilled and vented rear discs?

gregwho

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:15:43 PM »

Changed both calipers today and given them a good working over driving through some hilly coastal roads, and touch wood everything seems fine, pretty chuffed with myself  :icon_biggrin: :ace:

Mike, I was just thinking if there was any kind of rear brake upgrade that would help. Driving in cornwall has made me realise that the brakes aren't super amazing so anything I can do to make them a bit better will be good. I know most of the braking is done up front so drilled and vented there is great, and wasn't sure if you can even get rear discs like that. I'll stick with getting better front discs when they are next needed

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:28:28 AM »

your worried about the braking on your jeep try kernow in an old one
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm