Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD YJ? Best check yours  (Read 4770 times)

249raf

OLD YJ? Best check yours
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »

Hi Guys

here's an interesting story that may well be an issue for anyone with an old Wrangler mines a 1993

I was perusing flea bay one day and found a guy locally breaking a jeep same colour and year as mine, (you might have seen it) some bits are still on the site. Anyway i went down there to buy a couple of seats from him and asked him why he was breaking his jeep.

He told me that he had fitted a 2inch lift kit and some big tyres and he found that he had split his chassis.

Looking from the front its the right side strut and the split had occurred just before the joint to the leaf spring, its was a cleanish break so his scrapped it, out of interest he has mae over £1300 back so far.

Anyway when i got home it thought i would check mine and sure enough ive got the start of the same break mines has gone about 30% of the way.

Im having it welded Tuesday

Bearing in mind that my jeep had never been off road until i got it I strongly urge you all to check yours, I will post pictures of my split before its welded

ian

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Re: OLD YJ? Best check yours
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »

Cracked YJ chassis' aren't uncommon.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

but is it common knowledge?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »

yup i have one here that is shot to shit the tub the chasis never been ofroaded 100% standard 4popper looks like it spent several years underwater for all the rust in the poor thing

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »

I've seen somepretty rotten TJ chassis as well.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »

Now this may be 'horlicks' but..... There have been a few RHD YJs that have had a chassis splitting issue around where the steering box is bolted to the chassis............ I personally know of 2 4.0 litre chassis crackers....
On a LHD there is  some sort of reinforcement or bracinging between the chassis walls, that obviously helps....

I haven't got jiggy with the gas axe so can't swear this to be totally kosher, but a number of conversations have led us to believe this to be the case.....

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:41 AM »

yup tis true

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:15:38 AM »

Now this may be 'horlicks' but..... There have been a few RHD YJs that have had a chassis splitting issue around where the steering box is bolted to the chassis............ I personally know of 2 4.0 litre chassis crackers....
On a LHD there is  some sort of reinforcement or bracinging between the chassis walls, that obviously helps....

I haven't got jiggy with the gas axe so can't swear this to be totally kosher, but a number of conversations have led us to believe this to be the case.....

Early RHD XJs used to crack around the steering box for the same reason. They were subject to a saftey recall, so should have all been fixed.

249raf

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:39:20 AM »

Thanks for the answers guys, mine obviously a LHD that jeep converted.

I think the chassis has already been welded on the side where the steering rack is bolted, you can see its newer and can spot the weld

Ian

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »

obviously dont just weld the crack, add some sunbstantial plating over the top of the failure
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Green Jeep

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:07 PM »

Hi,

Running a 4" lift on my YJ, been kinda expecting a crack to appear... noticed it the other day, just stripped it all down and out of the way and my mate who is real could at welding will make some plates up and strengthen the whole area up.

Just wondered if it's more common on RHD YJ's as big bracket on other chassis rail... just a thought.

Cheers Maf

PS Performance books mention a steering box brace... would this help....ebay link....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-1987-96-HD-Steering-Box-Brace-LOOK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4397d7edcbQQitemZ290310319563QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Bishops Finger

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »

Kind of unrelated but yet again....If ya look at a CJ/YJ from Chester on sea aka Abersoch...or that part of the welsh coast....its probably been used as a  launching barge....

jimyj

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »

Y

Tragic

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 07:10:10 PM »

Here's one I broke earlier.....

Sadly, that turned out to be the GOOD side! :jpshakehead:
After removing the steering box, the driver's side looked like this.........

I believe all YJs were built LHD and converted on arrival in the UK.
Sadly, they are a bodge, badly finished, not welded properly, and no extra stiffening or rust proofing. This kind of thing is inevitable really :jpshakehead:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »

Fook....

Green Jeep

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »

I believe all YJs were built LHD and converted on arrival in the UK.
Sadly, they are a bodge, badly finished, not welded properly, and no extra stiffening or rust proofing. This kind of thing is inevitable really :jpshakehead:

I agree, is the brackets on the other chassis leg for the steering box on LHD? Would make all the difference?

Yours looks a nightmare, think I've just caught mine, even driving it too my garage made it worse... my mate is welding it next week, will post some pics...

Steering brace worth fitting?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

dang rite it is

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Green Jeep

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »

dang rite it is

Will the steering brace work on RHD vehicles? As I guess only made for LHD YJ's? Cheers Maf

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »

make yore own or mod a left hooker one

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Green Jeep

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »

Nice thick plate all welded on...  :icon_super:

Pages: [1]   Go Up