Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade my YJ Wrangler or look for somethng else  (Read 2122 times)

Zedman

Upgrade my YJ Wrangler or look for somethng else
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:30:05 PM »

Hello

I would love some opinions.

I have a 93 Wrangler, its totaly standard apart from a set of 31x10 silverstone extreme tyres.

Been looking for suspension upgrades, should I go for coil springs or save up fo a totaly differerant 4x4

http://silverstonetyres.co.uk/images/xtreme1.jpg

I have been cruising as many forums as I can find to find an upgrade path to try and find a ride that will run as sweet as a motocrosser (yup thats a 2 wheel beast that has 12" of extremly usable travel)

Is there anything in the 4x4 comunity that can handle 2' speed bumps and 30' jumps ?

James Stewart Supercross Champ 2007

Yup I know they are proffesionals on bikes but I would so love a car that can ride bumps like that, ideas pls

Upgrade the old wrangler or ???????????

Yup I know its not possible but any ideas on something that approaches that sort of performance would cool ??

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: Upgrade my YJ Wrangler or look for somethng else
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »

if that realy is the aim dump the yj the cost is not worth it you are realy talkin about a prerunner    the closest you will fiind in the uk is maybe a bowler

or more sesibly a tj on long arms

i think your wallet will dictate the outcome

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Zedman

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »

Thanks for the input

The wife just pointed out if i sell the house and buy a Bowler I will no longer have anywhere to park it so the TJ looks a sensible option )

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

there are some smart tjs around already modded you just need to look long and hard at what you want to do devise a plan and go for the best option
if it still remains jeep

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Nosebolt

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »

just to throw a spoke into the works, do you have some where to use this 'new ride' ? only reason I ask is I asume a rig built for speed/jumps may not be the best for lanes/ sites and therefore have a very limited use for a very big spend

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »

well strictly speakin a green lane is a highway that is unsurfaced so normal road speeds could poss be legaly used  and lets face it there are those who seem to do just that....JERKS

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »

why or where do you want to do 2' jumps over 30' distance ?. if your into real offroad racing the have a look on the AWDC as there might some vehicles for sale that have already been modified and at a reasonable price. but for a vehicle to do what your asking your are looking at a custom build which will cost you a hell of alot of money. Have a look at the works rally raid cars these are built to do what you are asking but the budgets for these are silly. the closest your going to get is a bowler or go on the web and look at the states and see what they have for sale over there i.e ex LORRS racer and import it back. but after doing that it's going to be an expensive weekend toy

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »

one hell of a leap from a yj on 31s

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Zedman

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »

I think my question came accross a little wrongly, after riding an off road bike and a supermotd I was after something that had good ability to soak up bumps in a similar way to a bike, going over speed bumps at the moment in the Wrangler bounces me all over the place.

What I need is something that will allow sensible greenlaning and trialing with a bit more compliance over the rough stuff, I needed to know if upgrading the YJ was worth it or just start saving for the TJ with coil suspension as suggested Bubba

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

TJ with a longarm kit.

Nosebolt

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »

something that will allow sensible greenlaning and trialing,
with a bit more compliance over the rough stuff,

IMHO to meet both requirements is going to be a compromise, OK at both but not excellent at either, it is something we all live with if we play with our daily drivers unless you can afford 2 rigs of course :003:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »

Laning guidelines suggest 15 mph tops so what will actuaally fit the bill?

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Proper Job!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

Is there anything in the 4x4 comunity that can handle 2' speed bumps and 30' jumps ?

I think for bang for bucks a Motocrosser is your only option.

See if you can trade in you YJ for a a "Trophey Truck" maybe be able to pick one up on ebay :lol_hitting:

Trophy truck Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up