Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 94 Cherokee Immobiliser problem  (Read 2189 times)

21TonyK

94 Cherokee Immobiliser problem
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »

:010:

Hi All, sorry my first post is a problem but any help appreciated.

I've had this Cherokee for 15+ years and for the last couple it's not moved. I started it a few times but now it looks like something has happened with the immobiliser.

Basically I lock and unlock with a remote, put the key in to start and the engine wont turn over. Tried pressing and holding the reset button under the dash but still nothing.

I was trying for a couple of hours the other day but still no joy.

I know the immobilisers are a major pain. Is there anything else I can do or am i wasting my time?

If not then the poor thing is going to end up being scrapped which is criminal considering it's only got 70K on the clock and otherwise its in reasonable condition  :010:

Thanks in advance.

Outback

Re: 94 Cherokee Immobiliser problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »

Sounds a lot like a problem I have. Power comes through when the key's turned to the 'On' position, but when you go to 'Run' nothing happens. Keep trying a few times and it starts to work.

I thought it might be an immobiliser thing at first, but reading about it in the FSM makes me think it's not - if the immobiliser 'immobilises' the engine it should let it run for 2 seconds before switching it off. In your case (and mine) it isn't even getting that far. I know there's power coming from the battery, so my first thoughts are either:

• The battery's not quite all there so is struggling to crank the engine (although I'm not convinced it's this)
  • Starter/solenoid's playing silly buggers
  • There's a dodgy connection in the starting system somewhere and trying a few times gets it working

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's an immobiliser thing. Maybe someone else has had the same problem and can chime in?

Outback

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »

neutral safety switch on the gear box crudded up ?????
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Tank

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »

Sounds a lot like a problem I have. Power comes through when the key's turned to the 'On' position, but when you go to 'Run' nothing happens. Keep trying a few times and it starts to work.

I thought it might be an immobiliser thing at first, but reading about it in the FSM makes me think it's not - if the immobiliser 'immobilises' the engine it should let it run for 2 seconds before switching it off. In your case (and mine) it isn't even getting that far. I know there's power coming from the battery, so my first thoughts are either:

• The battery's not quite all there so is struggling to crank the engine (although I'm not convinced it's this)
  • Starter/solenoid's playing silly buggers
  • There's a dodgy connection in the starting system somewhere and trying a few times gets it working

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's an immobiliser thing. Maybe someone else has had the same problem and can chime in?

Outback

I dont know about a Cherokee but on the Grand i have,the car battery had gone flat due to lights staying on so i was jumping it from my van,but i forgot that after so long the immobiliser switches back on and when i was turning the key to the start position all dash lights would go out but nothing,no turning over or anything.Eventually the penny dropped and i had to lock and unlock to switch off the immobiliser then it worked.Another note is i had to kind of re-synch the remote as it would not work to start with so just kept pressing the lock and unlock buttons and after a couple of times the car recognised it and worked the alarm and central locking etc.Just a thought

Outback

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »

I tried the Lock-Unlock thing for months, it does feck all so I gave up on it. What's the remote resync, can you explain that please?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, 21TonyK, this may help both of us!  :icon_biggrin:

Tank

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »

Well not sure even if there is such a thing with a Jeep but it seemed that after i had had the battery off the GC and charged it,when i reconnected it the remote fob didnt do anything at first,whatsoever,but after pressing it a few times it started locking/unlocking again.I know on a Saab when you change the remote battery you have to push the lock button 5 times which re marries if you like,the fob to the TWICE unit which controls the alarm.Thats what i meant by re-synching,but as i said not sure if it applies to any Jeeps though,might have been a coincidence in my case with messing about with the fob

21TonyK

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will have another go tomorrow. It's been "lorried" to a garage for MOT but without being able to start it they can;t even get it on the ramps!

Criminal if we have to junk it. Just found about £3K of invoices for work in the 6 months before we stopped using it.

If I don't get it going in the next few days I'll put it up on here for spares  :010:

Bishops Finger

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »

Make sure the battery is charged and new ones in the fob...switch fob on and off a few times and see...good luck

wildrover

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »

When my Cherokee was doing this it turned out to be a fuse that had blown.... in the handbook it says this fuse is for the lights , but its obviously part of the ignition system.....   its done it a few times....

TATTYVEST

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

:010:

Hi All, sorry my first post is a problem but any help appreciated.

I've had this Cherokee for 15+ years and for the last couple it's not moved. I started it a few times but now it looks like something has happened with the immobiliser.

Basically I lock and unlock with a remote, put the key in to start and the engine wont turn over. Tried pressing and holding the reset button under the dash but still nothing.

I was trying for a couple of hours the other day but still no joy.

I know the immobilisers are a major pain. Is there anything else I can do or am i wasting my time?

Hi all,

I

21TonyK

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »

Thanks all. Tried again today, can't see any fuses blown or anything. Going to give up and put it in the "for sale". I'm sure someone with enough patience and time could sort it but I have to get rid in the next week at most as we are moving and I have no where to store it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up