Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent Starting Fault  (Read 9269 times)

Woody

Intermittent Starting Fault
« on: January 22, 2005, 06:14:36 PM »

About 25-30% of the time when I start the XJ I get a click from the solenoid, a pause of about second and then the starter engages and turns the engine over. The rest of the time it turns over immediately.

The battery voltage drops to approx 9.5V on starting with or without the fault. The starter is the Mitsubishi with solenoid attached. So is it a new starter required?

Just spent a real cold and wet afternoon lying under the car removing the starting cleaning it and electrical contacts as much as I could to no avail.

Real b**ger as the TJ is still out of action awaiting parts from the US and I have to drive to Plymouth Monday.

Woody

craig

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 01:52:18 PM »

Did you remove the starter and strip it completly? if not then it is a case that the brushes inside are prob full of mud(joys of off roading) it's not that bad to strip and all internal parts are easy to get hold of. But are you sure the battery is in good working order? :?

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

Reckon its the starter

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 03:47:21 PM »

Update: After removing the starter/solenoid from the car yesterday and degunging it I gave it a squirting of WD40 to disperse any moisture that might remain. Once refitted the problem continued.  I also cleaned all the electrical connections and the battery terminals and connectors.

However, this morning after a night where the WD40 continued to work its magic the problem appears to have gone. I gave the XJ 10 successive starts with no problems.

I will have the usual Jeep Owners paranoia for the next few weeks. If the fault re-occurs then it is probably the starter/solenoid and so will have to be replaced.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips.

Woody

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 12:05:38 AM »

No probs mate

craig

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 07:44:38 PM »

No probs, we are all here to help each other :)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 07:02:04 AM »

too rite

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Woody

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 12:13:44 AM »

Belay my last :!:   Bl**dy thing is still playing up :(  got back safe from Plymouth and looks like the TJ will be ready for collection tomorrow :D   So I can park the XJ up until starter is sorted.

Woody
Pages: [1]   Go Up